Veterans Day

I had a pretty good Veterans Day. I wore my American flag shirt that says USA 1776 on it. I changed both my profile picture on Facebook and my blog picture to thank veterans. I emailed a greeting card to grandma and grandpa meier. I feel pretty good. I also felt really good when I walked by the 24 hour guard at the flagpole just after dusk. There is just something about the serenity of watching 2 ROTC soldiers standing in solemn silence, guarding the flag on campus. Many people rushed past, some disrespectfully walking behind the soldiers, between them and the flag and the memorial wreath. But I made sure to slow down and take in the moment. Despite the frigid air filling my lungs and urging me to hurry on, the overwhelming feeling of love for country warmed my heart and allowed me to stop for a moment to memorialize in my mind the sacrifices that have been made to protect the freedoms I enjoy each day. My day was improved enormously by that opportunity.

I had an annotated bibliography due today at 5:10 and at 2:45 I was just sitting down to start it.  I needed 10 sources and while I had a couple saved, I still had to find about 6 more and write them all up. By 5:00 I had 8 and I called that good. I printed it off quick and headed to class. It was a bittersweet moment when she told us that since only a few of us finished, we would hold off on turning them in until Tuesday. I did get bonus points for doing it on time and now I get extra time to write up 2 more sources.

Work is cold and dreary, but ultimately not too bad since it's practically stress-free. Tomorrow will be the warmest day this week with the high peaking at 41! I may have to shed a layer for the occasion. In the morning though, at about dawn, I'm heading over to hold a spot in line for the basketball game. I'll leave my post for work and then return to make sure we get good seats and a free shirt (first 3000 students get free shirts tomorrow). Should be a good day tomorrow. It's Friday so it better be!

For the song of the day, since I replaced it this morning with patriotic music, I will put Toussant McCall back on. He deserves some more blog time.

And here's the conversation of the day/year:

My Boss: "Yeah, I have to do a graveside service in Delta. It's usually about 15 degrees warmer down there so we're going to try the golf course while we're there."

Other guy: "Man, I wish someone I knew would die in St. George so I could go golfing down there..."

That, ladies and gentleman, is how they do it out here in Utah.

Oh...and if you didn't notice, I put a paypal donation button in the upper right of my blog...just in case anyone is feeling generous and wants to help me out...
0 Responses

    Followers