A Very Culinary Sunday

Today I ate like a king. After church and home teaching, Philip made apricot chicken with rice. I had a nice big lunch out of that and then headed home for a little Sunday nap. I zonked right out and awoke at 4:15 to make my own dinner. I invited some guests in anticipation of the new sauce I've been wanting to make with my chicken cordon bleu. Mike came over because I always invite him for dinners. I also invited a friend from my freshman ward who went to culinary school. If you recall I went over there for lasagna and a fireside on Fast Sunday. I also invited a girl from my ward named Hilary. She is the one who I made cowboy cookies for this week and her apartment voted them the best cookies they've ever had. So, after my nap I totally got into the zone. I whipped up the chicken part of the cordon bleu in a jiffy. The sauce took a little longer, but that's just the nature of it. When it was all done it baked for a bit and then we ate. The new sauce was amazing. Much better than the old one, and I didn't put wine in it like I planned to. I don't think it needs it. As you may remember, I was supposed to have pot roast a week ago, but that dinner was canceled. Well, this week, Evan, Philip's roommate, finally got around to making it. Since I already had a dinner planned, we traded a plate of our meals. I got a heaping plate of pot roast, mashed taters, rolls, and corn. I wrapped it up for later. After our cordon bleu, we made cowboy cookies again. I only had semi-sweet chocolate chips, so I put them in. Last time I used milk chocolate chips. Let me just say that cowboy cookies are 1000Xs better with milk chocolate chips. I've never been a big semi-sweet fan, though everyone here seems to be. For my recipe book, I'm permanently adding milk chocolate chips as the only acceptable chocolate chip for cowboy cookies. We ate some of those and talked and watched some video clips and then everyone eventually left. I went over to talk to Evan and his dinner group was having eclair cake, so I had a piece of that. It was pretty good. Had almond in it which made it less like an eclair, but it was still great. After a movie I have now pulled out the pot roast and am having a final dinner. With it I have pumpkin pie mike bought at maceys. So, once I'm finished, I'll have had 3 big dinners and 3 different desserts, all in the space of 8 hours. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

Because I ate so well, all I can think of is food. So, it's fitting that I have a song of the day relating to food. Enjoy two classics: Be Our Guest and, if you remember that good old 1972 movie Charlotte's Web, here is an excerpt from the best song I always think of when I eat a lot: Smorgasbord....
0 Responses

    Followers