Another Tirade Coming

First of all, I have to reiterate for the umpteenth time how incredibly perplexing, interesting, yet undeniably humbling it is and how grateful I am that anyone would not only read the seemingly unimportant things I write, but that you all comment on my writing and seem to find it at least mildly appeasing.

My blog began years ago. When I moved to college and was living 1500 miles from home (which was Kentucky at the time), I began a newsletter that I circulated through email to family and a few friends. I created an entire template and each issue was even numbered. Sadly I do not have any surviving copies I can find or I would show a picture of what it was. After doing a newsletter for some time I began a blog. It took my a good year or more to actually do much with it and 2010 was finally the break out year. It was originally just a way to keep family and friends updated on what I was doing. Then it became somewhat of a journal. It has evolved since its inception and now my blog is a place where I talk about all sorts of topics ranging from lessons I've learned to interesting or funny things I saw or heard. I share personal stories of hardship not meant to garner pity, but rather to remind myself of the growth that resulted from my distress and hopefully to inspire someone struggling with similar circumstances. I share political views to get myself and others thinking about how we can better approach tough issues. I also share uplifting and spiritually edifying messages, particularly on Sundays, because above all else, I want people to walk away after reading my blog feeling that in some way, I have been able to influence them in a positive way. Those who read my blog are generally my good friends, and anyone else who reads I consider a friend and I would give all that I am to improve the lives of those I care about.

Now, having said all that, I need to get a little ranting done. The topic of my frustrations will come as no surprise to many...it is acronyms. Not very long ago, acronyms were a novelty. We had ASAP, FYI, TTFN (ta ta for now!), ATM, and other simple acronyms. Then came the SMS, or Short Message Systems. Texting. The beginning of the end of mankind. An incredible tool gone awry. Now we have LOL, ROFL, BTW, BF/GF, BFF, BRB, FWIH, YOLO, TTYL, WTG, OMG, WTH, IDK, IMO/IMHO/JMHO, NSFW, and on and on and on. I hear new ones every day. I just don't get it. I still punctuate my text messages. I capitalize words, use correct spelling, use proper grammar. I can't even abbreviate extra as xtra. I try every time, but every single time, without fail, I shake my head in disgust and write the "e" on the beginning and mutter to myself why the heck I would do such a stupid thing. Is the world in such a hurry I can't even write that one little "e"? I would like to issue a challenge to you acronymizers. Go one week without using a single acronym. See if your life falls apart. It won't. I guarantee it. Use your words guys...

Song of the Day is "ABC" by Michael Jackson.
0 Responses

    Followers