Tuesday the 20th

Today I have some really exciting stuff to talk about. I'll just get right to it. Around 2:00 at work, everyone started pointing towards Y Mountain. I looked over and there was a big plume of smoke coming off the mountain about 2 miles away (close enough to see the smoke moving fast). A little closer to the Y trail another small fire appeared as well, sending just a small bit of smoke up. I watched for a while as the small fire disappeared and the large one got smaller and smaller. I went out front to watch as a helicopter arrived to the scene and circled around. A few minutes later and the smoke was pretty much gone. But, as I turned to go back inside, I saw new smoke just beginning to rise...RIGHT AT THE END OF THE STREET! Barely a block and a half down the road from where I stood, someone had just started a fire. (By this time we had discerned it was definitely arson and not any controlled burns.) The helicopter immediately saw and came our way. I looked for any arsonist, but didn't see anyone. I watched as a bunch of cops came on the scene with 3 or 4 special brush fire trucks and fire chief trucks as well. The helicopter landed in a parking lot at an abandoned building next door. The flames burned a good 75-100 square foot area before it was put out. It was pretty cool to see the firefighters spraying it all down and making sure it was out. A police officer came to seven peaks to talk to our head of security and on his way inside someone asked what was happening. He said it was an intentional fire. After they put it all out, the helicopter took off and flew up and down the whole mountain range, which probably scared off the arsonists. In the end, there were actually 5 fires in a 45 minute span. The Seven Peaks fire was the last one. According to the news so far, fireworks were found at at least one of the fires. Here's a couple links if you want to read more and see some pictures:

Salt Lake Trib
Provo Daily Herald

Aside from that, work wasn't really too exciting. During the fires, lots of people stopped to watch. Especially when the mountain was on fire 100 yards away. The only other news really I guess is that I got in contact with the Chef that I worked with at Zion Ponderosa and he told me what kind of wine I need for my recipes! Now I can go out with a bit more confidence and get a good wine for cooking.
0 Responses

    Followers