Monday the 19th

Today was a good Monday. Slept in a little bit, did a little laundry, relaxed before work. At work, nothing really happened. It was a pretty chillaxed day. Annie and Mike went swimming and Seven Peaks today.

This evening after work Annie and I went to pick up ingredients for my birthday dinner. I was going to make clam chowder from the resort but instead I decided to go with the Shrimp Scampi I made at the resort. It's an absolutely delicious dish served over angel hair pasta. Here's a quick run down of it. You throw some olive oil and butter in a pan (equal parts). When they start poppin', you sautee some garlic and after a second, put the pre-cooked shrimp in. After the appropriate amount of time, turn the shrimp. Toss in diced fresh roma tomatoes. Next comes the good part. Deglaze the pan with a nice white wine. (Deglazing is when you pour a liquid into the pan and it gets all the delicious flavor stuck to the bottom off. So when you cook and brown stuff collects at the bottom, you deglaze it to mix that flavor back in.) The wine will cause the pan to flame nice and big for a moment. The majority of the alcohol is burned off in this process. Let the food sit just a moment longer before pulling it off and pouring it over hot, lightly oiled angel hair. For decoration, top it with a couple tall rosemary sprigs. And that, ladies and gentleman, is the best shrimp scampi you'll ever have! I'll post pictures when I make it this Sunday.

When we were out getting ingredients, I picked up a $25 bookcase from Wal-Mart to alleviate the severe shortage of kitchen storage space we have. I got the same one my old roommate used to have because I knew it was a good one. When I got home, I spent an hour putting it together. Unfortunately, it was made out of pretty cheep wood and when I started screwing some parts together, the wood began to split. I wasn't screwing anything in too tight as you might suspect. The wood began to split at the beginning of screwing it in, so it was a manufacturing error. I hoped it wouldn't compromise the structural integrity of the whole bookcase, so I put the rest together to see. It definitely compromised the structure. It wobbled to and fro from the split connections and I know if I was to put weight on it or even just try to move it the whole middle part where the bottom and top parts connect would buckle. So, after an hour of assembly, I spent a half hour disassembling it. I did a little research though and quickly ordered a better shelf. Here is the one I'm getting:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-5-Shelf-Storage-Unit-Light-Taupe/8251817

It's much sturdier and the reviews all say it's very durable. The bad reviews were negative because parts arrived broken for them or assembly wasn't as easy as they hoped. Everyone agreed it was super sturdy and could support lots of weight well. I went ahead and put down $5 to ship it straight here in half the time it would take to do the free site to store shipping. I'll get the lame bookcase returned soon and get my new shelves between this Friday and next Wednesday. These shelves are definitely something that is needed in my apartment and I feel like it's a very good investment. If I leave on a mission, they can easily be transferred to someone else.

After ordering I started writing my blog and that brings me to the very moment I'm typing these words. I hope you all enjoy my blog. If you have suggestions, please comment on my posts and let me know. Anyone can comment!

I do have a brief update on my white strips. After 4 uses, my teeth do seem more vibrant and lighter. I have high hopes that every day my teeth will look better and I'll smile to show them off to everyone. Not sure how white they will get, but I'm satisfied so far with how things are going.

That's all for today. Until tomorrow, take it easy.
0 Responses

    Followers