The Rest of Tuesday

Today was another great day. The weather was unbelievably nice, work went quickly and easy, classes were fun. The Y on the mountain is lit for homecoming (and also to remind everyone to pray a lot for Saturday).

I would like to share a song I recently heard. I first heard this song about a week ago when I was having a bit of a tough day. I was worrying too much about the future and the present and decisions and things like that. I was at work, listening to my ipod, thinking too much about those things when it played. The lyrics came with all my John Denver songs, so once the song started and it caught my attention, I read the lyrics. The song really put me at ease and helped me feel good about life. The title of the song is "Gravel on the Ground".

Here is a video with the song, just ignore the pictures, at least the first time, they just distract you from the music: Gravel on the Ground

For your convenience, here are the lyrics:

Gravel On The Ground

If our lives could lie before us, like a straight and narrow highway
So that we could see forever, long before we took the ride
We would never look to heaven, make a wish or climb a mountain
'Cause we'd always know the answer, what's on the other side

But life ain't no easy freeway, just some gravel on the ground
You pay for every mile you go to spread some dust around
Tho' we all have destinations , and the dust will settle down
This life ain't no easy freeway, just some gravel on the ground

So let's walk the road together who knows what we'll find tomorrow
Maybe good times, maybe sorrow will be waitin' round the bend
Given time, two hearts discover what they're feelin' for each other
At the best we'll end up lovers, at the least we'll make a friend

But life ain't no easy freeway, just some gravel on the ground
You pay for every mile you go to spread some dust around
Tho' we all have destinations , and the dust will settle down
But life ain't no easy freeway, just some gravel on the ground
You pay for every mile you go to spread some dust around
Tho' we all have destinations , and the dust will settle down
This life ain't no easy freeway, just some gravel on the ground


I would also like to say more about what I mentioned (and indicated I would say more about) in yesterdays post regarding how people see me.

I try to live my life the way I learned was right. The boy scouts program taught me a lot about life and trained me in leadership, as well as countless other things. The church also taught me a lot. Between the programs in the church and the boy scouts, I grew in ways I still do not realize. The way I act and manage myself is not always apparent to me. At times, I admit that I have faltered in my honesty and integrity. One thing has surprised me though: People do notice how you live. People do notice what you believe. People do base their respect for you on what they notice. I can think of a few occasions where accusations were made about me, whether it be something someone thought they heard me say or something they heard that I did. In those occasions, where many people were rumoring and conjuring up all sorts of thoughts about me (as is human nature), someone stood up for me. And it was usually a person who would do the things others were accusing me of doing. That really inspires me. That someone who does not believe what I do and does not live as I try to live would stand by me and say, "No, Jon would not do that, you are mistaken" really gives me a whole new perspective on things. It makes me try even harder to live by the standards I chose to follow. I am grateful for those people who have stood by me in those times. They taught me a lot and have helped to humble me. I can always use some humbling. As long as I'm still here on the earth, I need humbling.
0 Responses

    Followers