I'm Gonna Rock Halloween

I have to tell you that today I was just thinking randomly at work and instantly the ultimate Halloween costume popped into my head. I refuse to say anything about it until the costume is complete and I have pictures, but let me just say that I think it will be the most HILARIOUS costume EVER! I'm going to enter into any and every costume contest I hear of. The best part is I don't expect too many people will think of this. At least not here at BYU. It's possible, given the timing of things, that I may encounter someone with the same idea, but, well, I'm willing to take the risk for what could be the ultimate opportunity of a lifetime...at least it is in my opinion. Some online research shows it could be a popular costume this year....time will tell!

Other than that, today was business as usual. Work was good, class was short, I'm selling my tv, tv stand and possibly something else to buy a projector from my old boss since he upgraded his awhile back. Have no worries...I'm getting a sweet deal already ($150), so with the money from the tv, stand and possibly some other electronic I sell, I will be spending hardly anything (less than $50, hopefully only $30ish) on it. Say what you want about me not needing it, but I am a 21 year old male...despite a very keen sense of what I should be doing with my money, I'm entitled to make a bad decision this month. Consider it made.

I have been busy and have not worked on my mission papers, but that's ok because until I go to the doctor and dentist, I am not behind. I am behind on scheduling though. I wrote down the info for a dentist that had an even better deal than I found before, but did not have time to call today. I'm really just trying to get this week behind me so I can have a more open schedule to do these things.

I feel like I had more to say, but I've had a nagging little headache today so I better go sleep and try to be rid of it.

Oh...I do remember what I wanted to share. I'm giving the spiritual thought in tap dance in the morning and as usually the case, the thought I found pertained to me a lot. Here it is for you guys to enjoy. After the concluding words of the thought, I will include my own thoughts.


Elder James E. Talmage of the Quorum of the Twelve told of an experience he had in a secluded room where he often went to write:
“A wild bee from the neighboring hills once flew into the room, and at intervals during an hour or more I caught the pleasing hum of its flight. The little creature realized that it was a prisoner, yet all its efforts to find the exit through the partly opened casement failed. When ready to close up the room and leave, I threw the window wide and tried at first to guide and then to drive the bee to liberty and safety, knowing well that if left in the room it would die as other insects there entrapped had perished in the dry atmosphere of the enclosure. The more I tried to drive it out, the more determinedly did it oppose and resist my efforts. Its erstwhile peaceful hum developed into an angry roar; its darting flight became hostile and threatening.


“Then it caught me off my guard and stung my hand -the hand that would have guided it to freedom. At last it alighted on a pendant attached to the ceiling, beyond my reach of help or injury. The sharp pain of its unkind sting aroused in me rather pity than anger. I knew the inevitable penalty of its mistaken opposition and defiance, and I had to leave the creature to its fate. Three days later I returned to the room and found the dried, lifeless body of the bee on the writing table. It had paid for its stubbornness with its life” (“Three Parables-The Unwise Bee, the Owl Express, and Two Lamps,” Ensign, Feb. 2003, 8–9).
Too often in our lives we are like the bee in our adversity.  Adversity may have come because of a wrong decision the bee made, perhaps the wrong decision of another, or perhaps just as part of life to teach the bee a lesson it couldn’t have learned otherwise.  There was, however, someone greater than the bee willing to help him to safety.  But the bee did not have the right perspective it needed and instead rebelled against the help it had.
We too have a choice when trials and tribulations come our way, as they surely will.  We can either follow the gentle hand of the Spirit and learn the lesson we were to learn, or we can rebel and remain in our trial… or even worse, rebel and eventually die a spiritual death.  It is all about maintaining our perspective.  This life, and these trials, although overwhelming they may seem, are just moments in time where the Lord would have us learn.  Learn the lesson and fly out the window!


I'll be the first to admit that I am stubborn. I like doing things my way and often times I think I'm right and become blind to others suggestions. That has hurt my progression a lot and I think it has hurt others as well. I don't like speaking of regret, or dwelling in the past more than is necessary to learn and move on, but I do regret a lot of things. I regret stubbornness that hurt relationships with friends or family. I regret fighting the help others offered, even when I knew in the end it was right. I regret, but I use those feelings to improve and to learn. I regret those things, but I have grown stronger because I realized my mistakes and applied the lessons to my life. I do not look forward to the inevitable mistakes I will make in the future, but I do look forward to hopefully realizing them and learning even more.

In closing today, I'll leave you with some thought provoking words from the philosopher Heraclitus:

"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you."
0 Responses

    Followers