Monday October 4th

I have to admit that, in recent months, my Mondays have really improved. I used to try my best to have good Mondays, but it seemed like to matter what, Mondays always sucked. Now, even without me even trying, Mondays turn out to be good days. Today was a good day. Nothing bad happened. Nothing spectacular happened either, but with no troubles and no worries, how could it be a bad day?

I did win a little game at work. When people pick up the vehicles they are renting, there is one piece of paper that we print that has all the information, like the renter, the department, the mileage, the vehicle type, special instructions, etc. etc...A slow day sees 10-15 vehicles going out, with busier days having maybe 30 or more out. Each one that goes out means one sheet of paper. Those accumulate fairly quickly. I would estimate that we easily go through 100 of those a week. When the vehicles are returned, the new mileage is recorded as well as the time and day they returned it. Those papers are then used to bill the department for the proper amount, a process done by the boss. After billing and entering in proper information, I guess those papers get kept for a bit. When the boss gets a big stack, he puts it out and we do a game. This was my first experience with this. Everyone (all 5 or 6 of us that work there) tries to guess how many sheets of paper there are. Today, the stack contained 604 sheets. My guess was 625 and I was the closest. I narrowly defeated someone who guessed in the 640s. Supposedly the loser has to bring donuts, so if that happens, I guess you could say I won donuts for everyone. Funny...since winning that backyard BBQ nearly a decade ago, I NEVER win anything. Though this was a small victory, I'm happy to have it.

We had our first storms in what seems like forever today. The storms here are nothing compared to the powerful tempests of Texas, or the gusts of the East. There were some good wind gusts today though. This morning one moved through, blowing dust everywhere for 15 minutes before the rains came. It only lasted a few minutes before clearing up, but later this afternoon more came. Within seconds rain was blown completely horizontally, soaking the 7-8 feet of patio to my doorstep and even managing to wash the front windows to the top. We received a large amount of water in the afternoon storm. It dumped on us for 10 minutes before moving on. From now until the end of the week, the temperature will slowly fall. By Friday, the high should only be in the low 60s, with lows going down to as cool as 42. It will be a glorious week.The mornings have been a cool 50, but for the past month straight almost, we've had highs in the 80s. Fall has officially arrived.

Now for some real news.

I have made an important decision that I hope will make me a more honest person. I have gladly admitted for some time now that I download movies often. I have rationalized my illegal downloads with the couple times a year I pay to go to the theater. While I have my beef with the entertainment industry, I also feel that if am going to be the person I want to be and the person that many people see me as (I'll say more on this in a moment), then I need to not download pirated movies so much, or even at all. After work, I wanted to watch a movie. I looked through what I had, but, as usually happens, I found nothing that appealed to me today. Then I remembered that my family has a netflix account. I used to have one, but years ago discontinued it for financial reasons. I logged into the family account and found many things that appealed to me. I clicked to watch some tv episodes I love, but it said that the 6 registered viewing device limit was reached and that I would have to remove one of those devices (a computer, wii or the like) to watch from my computer. I figured it would be no problem to remove one of them, but then I started thinking. I'm sure my family would have no problem with me using their account. I am, after all, part of the family. But, having mooched countless hours of free videos already, I did not feel right about doing that. I came to the conclusion that the best thing for me to do would be to sign up for a basic account. Though a small monthly fee is required, I know that it is within my budget and would be an honest investment in entertainment. Because of the numerous movies and shows you can stream live in addition to getting DVDs in the mail, I'm going to pitch the idea to Mike to see if he will split the cost of the 2 DVD plan with me. Then he too can stream movies free and get an occasional DVD.

Now if I can just get those dadgum fireworks up to Wyoming, I can be a law abiding citizen in every aspect of my life!
0 Responses

    Followers