Wednesday the 19th and Thursday the 20th

I apologize for the delay in my post yesterday. I will explain the reason for the delay in today's post.

Yesterday was August's Seven Peaks Employee party. We went to a place called Jump On It. It's essentially a building with tons of trampolines all connected. There are even trampolines at an angle on the walls. This link will take you to their home page. Click "See Inside" to get a short video shot of the inside.

http://www.jumponitparty.com/

So, I jumped on trampolines almost non-stop for about 2 hours. Apparently, maybe because I've had so many concussions, it was too much for my head. After I had been done jumping for awhile, my vision got black around the edges and very blurry. That lasted for a good 20 minutes or so. My body then kind of went into a numb-like state. Not totally numb where I couldn't move, but numb and tingly-like and I couldn't concentrate well. After a while, those cleared up, but a headache came on. It started small but grew quite quickly. I was supposed to help my manager move his furniture after the party. By the time we got to his apartment, my head was pounding , particularly in the front, and I was sensitive to light and sound. Luckily he had someone else to help move furniture, because after moving 1 piece I felt like I was going to either puke or pass out. At that point, I would have loved to have passed out and woken up a day later feeling fine. He took me home on his way to drop his furniture off where it was going. By then I felt like I had a fever and was really hot and I was in so much pain I could barely think or talk. I literally walked through the door, emptied my pockets, changed into some light shorts and hopped into bed. I will spare you another detail involving another ill symptom. I'll just say that I had to go to the bathroom twice, I had to sit, and it wasn't puke. If you get my drift. (If you don't get my drift, that's ok, don't think about it too much). I got up 3 times in the night. The first two trips were to the bathroom, the 3rd was to get a cold, damp towel to drape over my throbbing forehead. The towel helped. I was boiling hot and freezing cold at the same time. With my shirt off at this point, the towel gave me a good balance. I was under the covers to keep my chilled skin warm, but the towel kept my hot head cool. After enduring a lot of restlessness due solely to the extreme feeling of my head wanting to explode, I eventually fell asleep. There was someone next door or below me vacuuming and cleaning loudly (it was past 1 AM at this point), but the headache/migraine kept me from being bothered by it and it did not keep me from finally sleeping.

When I awoke this morning, the throbbing pain had ceased. Unfortunately, I did still feel pain in my head. Any time I tilt my head downwards, it throbs. Every sneeze throbs. Shaking my head too much throbs. Basically, I've spent the day trying not to move my head any which direction. I feel like I received a concussion, but I never hit my head. The only reason I did not puke all over the world last night is because for the past 3 years or more since the last time I puked (which I think was the time I came home to Kentucky and was sick the whole way back), I vowed to not puke again. Despite a few times where my body wanted to make me puke and all I had to do was say "ahh", I have gotten good at making myself not puke. Anyway, all the symptoms of a head injury were there except for an actual impact to cause one. I'm led to believe that my brain got all jumbled from the jumping and the physical activity. It's actually not new to me. When I played soccer on an intramural team two years ago, any time I went all out running and exerting myself, my vision would get black around the edges and I'd feel similar symptoms to last night. Maybe I should talk to my doctor about it and make sure I don't have any real problems.

Anyway, I spent the entire day cleaning today. I did both my and Mike's cleaning checks. I started around 8:30 or so and I'm actually still not complete and it's almost 6:00 pm. I took a short break to close my Deseret First Credit Union account. The only Provo location, which is 2 blocks down, is closing, so there's no point having an account at a bank I can't get to. I withdrew the $25 in my savings which is all I had in there. The cleaning checker offer guy came and since I did Mike's first and I'm staying in this apartment in Fall and have been cleaning all day, he passed us both off.

I know this post is long, but I have 2 more things to tell. First, that kid I fired. I completely forgot to mention that his father called us 45 minutes after we fired him. His father actually thanked us for holding to our values and doing what was right and had to be done. He was thankful for that and he was glad that his son was going to be able to learn from this earlier in his life rather than later. The next day, which was Wednesday, he brought his son in and his son had a card for us. In it he apologized for his actions and expressed regret for letting down his manager, supervisors and co-workers. He also included money to pay us back for what he stole and he put in extra to make sure he was "honest in his restitution". I was impressed his father handled it so professionally and while I'm sure he nudged his son a lot to do it, it took courage for his son to do that too.

I will end on a funny note. At work yesterday, I broke a chair I was sitting in. I was just sitting in a white, four legged plastic chair and out of nowhere the back 2 legs snapped at the top. I fell straight down and back a little with what was, according to the co-worker that witnessed it, the funniest face ever. As I went to throw the chair away, people saw and I got the whole fat person treatment. That's ok. I know that none of my 7 and a half abs were the least bit offended and neither was I. It was, after all, a rare treat to be the skinniest guy ever to break a chair from just sitting in it.
0 Responses

    Followers