Tuesday the 17th

The deed is done. This morning, a few minutes after 9:00 AM Mountain Daylight Time, I fired an employee for the first time in my life. Despite preparing myself since yesterday for it, there's just no way to be prepared for that. I was probably almost as nervous as the guy I was firing was. I kept it pretty brief. It was all over within a couple minutes. We discussed the things he had done and he told me exactly how many times he did those things. Then I told him that because of the repeated offenses, we had decided to let him go. He knew it was coming. No matter how much he wanted to avoid it (and he had been for the past couple days since he was caught doing what led to him being fired), he knew it was a reality. Within 24 hours he would need to turn in his uniform and badge and could not swim at the park unless he pays. I asked him if he had any other questions and he declined. He stood, shook my hand and as he turned for the door I told him I was sorry it had to end this way. He acknowledged the situation and before leaving said that he knew it was his own fault. After he left, I filled out a separation notice with HR to make it all final. He no longer works for Seven Peaks Water Park.

After that, the Foods Manager and I had some breakfast at work and the day went on from there. I now have experience hiring and firing employees.

This evening, after work, I went down the street to the annual BYU Cougar Kick Off. They have all the fall sports teams (Football, Women's Soccer, Women's Volleyball, Men's and Women's Basketball and some track people) at the soccer practice field. Lots of sponsors are there with booths giving away small swag and they talk to the head coaches of the sports and a few players. Bronco Mendenhall, as usual, was the highlight of the evening. I got signed posters from the women's soccer and volleyball team. I got a football poster but didn't want it signed (long lines mostly deterred me from it). I also got a KSL frisbee and some BYU bumper stickers. It was a fun event to go hang out at for a bit. I got to see one of the veteran football wide receivers dance on stage and do a back flip off of the stage. I'm sure if Bronco was still there, he would have cringed seeing a player back flipping. Now I'm home trying to get a head start on my cleaning. I have to do both my and Mike's cleaning checks on Thursday and somehow I have to make it look like 4 people's things are all my own, while hiding my illegal items as well. Yay!
0 Responses

    Followers