My Summer

With all the good things going on recently, I thought I should go back a few months to the beginning of summer and see what all I accomplished to get me where I am today. I will break it up into parts over the next few days so you don't have to read a huge novel in one sitting.

Chapter 1: The Job

I guess it all started during the cold, rainy days of March and April when I applied for a job...

I was having no luck at all with the job hunt. Finally, a job opening appeared on Craigslist that I felt completely qualified for. "Assistant Foods Manager", read the title. Knowing Seven Peaks was not a globally known institution that required a culinary degree and decades of experience, I got excited. I quickly began tailoring my resume and cover letter for the position. A response to my email informing them of my interest in the job invited me to fill out an application on their website. I did so and tacked my shiny new resume on with it. Soon after I was called to interview for the position. I knew my interview skills were fairly dull, so I read and reread dozens of articles on the subject. I went into that interview brimming with confidence. I was informed at the end of the interview that I would be considered for two positions. One was the assistant manager, the other was food supervisor. Joe, the manager I was interviewing with, explained how they were essentially the same, but the assistant manager would have administrative duties one day of the week and start at a slightly higher wage. I was ok with whatever. At that point, I would have accepted almost anything. Soon after that interview, I was told that I was being considered for a supervisor position, but that I would have to re-interview with the manager and new assistant manager in a few weeks time. The days rolled by and no new jobs came up. Finally, the second interview arrived. I brushed up on my interview skills and nailed it. I walked away knowing that based on what they needed, if I did not get the job, they were making the worst decision in the history of worst decisions. They were good decision makers. When I got home, I already had a message from them. One phone call later, I was employed and not even the most threatening cloud on that freezing, raining evening could dampen the excitement that buzzed around my apartment.
0 Responses

    Followers