The Final Chapter

I had only a few chapters to go in the Book of Mormon, but it was late on a Saturday night and I needed sleep. I counted the pages I had left and determined that it would be fitting for me to end on the Sabbath. I awoke the next morning and with several hours before church to spare, I sat down on the couch and began reading. I read for a good hour or so before I arrived in the final chapters of Moroni. Excitement and anticipation overwhelmed me as I drew nearer to the end. With only a few page turns left to go, I closed the book. I felt too good to be sitting in my pajamas. I showered and put on my Sunday best and then resumed reading. A few, short minutes later, I turned the last page, read the last words, then calmly closed the back cover, completing the journey I began when I was a deacon. That day was one of the best of my life. That day defined my determination and solidified my resolve to improve my life.

I had met with my bishop a few times to discuss service mission opportunities. I was hiding behind the fear of my health and wellness and was still struggling for answers concerning a mission. I had found some very attractive service mission opportunities, but through my meditations, I had many questions and thoughts that made things unclear. Then one day an email arrived in my inbox. The full contents of the letter are special to me, but I will share a few lines that helped me. "I counsel you to prepare your papers with your bishop as if you are going to fill a full time mission. If it is not to be, the Lord and the church will reject the application." Just days before receiving the email, I was thinking this same thing. Receiving it again as a confirmation helped me make the decision to prepare to serve and hopefully serve a full-time mission. I informed my bishop of my decision and we began gathering the information needed to get my papers started.

As August came to a close, things at work became very busy. We had exclusive events for very large groups almost back to back. I worked one 57.3 hour week, followed by another 50.5 hour week. Unfortunately, I took a few steps back in my progression. My scripture study became less frequent and I have noticed the difference. I still magnified my calling, attended church meetings, fasted, prayed and paid my tithing, but the difference between reading daily was so noticeable. In recent weeks, I've found myself with less energy, more pessimism and ultimately a lower level of happiness. I know it will be a huge challenge for me and I expect there to be temptations and traps at every corner, but I have felt the true happiness that comes with doing what's right and I cannot deny myself the opportunity to partake of that more.

Currently, I am retaking courses I failed 2 years ago when my health problems began. With hard work, I will pass each of my 3 classes with scores that will raise my GPA from the dead. With school, I am working part time and will work on my mission papers.

Friends, family members, even random blog readers who stumbled upon this by accident: I have turned my life completely around. Each day I find new things to change. Respect, love, friendliness, timidness, care, responsibility and so much more. Each day I try to take a step forward. I hope that any of you who have even the slightest desire to change will. This was my summer of miracles. Begin your season of change now.
0 Responses

    Followers