Interesting Day

Well, today was interesting for me. After tap dance (which went well, for awhile there my brain was having difficulty separating similar tap steps, but now it seems to be doing better), I headed to the culinary support center for my job interview. It was no interview, but rather a tour and explanation leading up to them actually going into the system and hiring me. I hardly had a chance to think before they wanted me to come in for my first shift the next day. Going into it, I had expected myself to accept the position. However, there was one thing that really got me thinking. I may have divulged my pay before, but to be safe (we all know how sensitive pay rates are for some reason), I will not say the exact rate. I make a certain amount, which is an above average amount, at vehicle rental. The work is not too difficult and not stressful at all. In fact, I often find it very relaxing, despite it being a decently physical job at times. There is a little bit of paperwork involved, but nothing too complicated. In all, it is a very ideal job for an ideal wage. The culinary support position starts at a full dollar less per hour. The person who was hiring me was not aware of my full experience in foods, but thought that starting me 20 cents higher than the usual rate was fair. That still puts me at 80 cents less per hour. When you do the math, that translates to $16 less each week, approx. $64 less per month and $192 less for the remaining 3 months of the semester. This position would be working in a cold room (46 degrees, humidity controlled, state of the art equipment and everything), preparing fruits and vegetables for all the various food-related things on campus. I really like the idea of learning a different aspect of food preparation. I turned that job down. I love food. I love looking at it, I love smelling it, I love tasting it, I love everything about it. I almost love it enough to take an 80 cent decrease in pay, but, something just didn't feel right about it. It's unfortunate. I would love to work in that new, state of the art building. I wish they would get permission for me to work 2 jobs and work over 20 hours per week. I read the official campus policy and it says students "should" only work 20 hours. Not that 20 is the absolute, set amount. That is if you are a full time student anyway. I am not. But, this is BYU where someone says something and people take it like law. Good luck convincing them to ask the employment office to allow me to work 40 hours a week. Anyhow, I feel quite lucky to have had 2 job offers for good jobs in such a difficult time for finding work. I'm glad I have had so many opportunities to build a strong resume and have such amazing recommendations from employers.
0 Responses

    Followers