Exciting Monday

I started my new job today. But first, I had to get officially hired. To do that I had to go to the student employment office and stand in a line. To do that, a nice old lady told me I had to shave my sideburns up. Rather than use a disposable razor to shave my entire face off, which I thought would be cool because then I could stand in line, bleeding to death and make them sorry, I just went down a floor and got a haircut. I'd been debating when to go in for one anyway. By next week, no matter how I try to stop them, my sideburns will inevitably be right back where they were. Anyway, first day of work was good. I just trained and shadowed the boss and tried to remember all I could. This first week will be like that and then I'll get more responsibility and eventually, I'll be left alone to run the place for about an hour each day during my shift. That's exciting! I like running places.

The other big news today is that I bought a big bean bag chair. I hear mom thinks it's a dumb idea, and maybe it is, but, it makes me happy. I hate my stupid couches and this love sac is awesome. It's actually bigger than my couch and seats one more person. I'll get some pictures up when I can. For now, it's time for another chapter of summer tales.

Chapter 3: The Book of Mormon

For nearly 21 years, I had heard the stories of the Book of Mormon. I studied them in seminary and I read them with my family in family scripture time. On at least two occasions I can remember, I attempted to read the Book of Mormon all the way through. Each time I fizzled out somewhere between 2nd Nephi and the beginning of Alma. When I did read, it was usually late at night and somehow I never remembered what I had read the day before. The stories did not intrigue me and overall, I was just never too motivated to really read and understand what I was reading. With all the good things going on in my life at the beginning of summer, I began to really feel a desire and a motivation to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover. I had seen a cool copy of the Book of Mormon somewhere that read more like a book than a scripture. I knew that I had to get a copy of that. The annotated version that we use today was just too distracting for me to concentrate. It split things up and made everything harder for me to follow. Used for studying, there is nothing better, but for reading the Book of Mormon just to read and understand it, I did not think it was the best. I did a Google search and soon found the replica version of the Book of Mormon that I had seen. I gathered some opinions on it and if it would be well suited for my purpose. The general opinion was that it would not be easier to read and would not be a good use of my money. That was just what I needed to go ahead and buy it. I eagerly boarded a bus with my brother, bound for Deseret Book. We quickly located the book and I took a copy off the shelf. I had not seen any pictures of the inside of the book online and they were sealed in plastic so I could not look in them at the store, but I knew that if I was ever going to read it, I had to buy it. To my delight, after I had purchased it and opened it, it was the very thing I had hoped for. The layout looked no different than any novel I had read. Excitement filled my entire body as we took a bus home. Back at my apartment, I wasted no time in getting started. I said a prayer expressing the desire I had to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover and I asked for help in reading and understanding it. That prayer was heard and that prayer was answered.
0 Responses

    Followers