The Week

Well, having just taken a nice, long nap, I can finally say the rush of this week is over. A TON has happened this week and I'll do my best to recount it.

Monday I met with the Food Science/Food Management adviser. That went well and he told me about the major and gave me an idea what classes I would be taking. He told me where to go to officially declare my major so after deciding that this is something I want to pursue, I went there and scheduled an appointment with a class adviser to officially declare the major. The appointment was set for Thursday. Monday after work I made a day to day list of what I needed to do to get everything done without anything having to be last minute. For Monday, the main things I needed were to get cleaning done for Tuesday's cleaning check and write about 2 pages on my research paper. I was skipping FHE since it was nothing too spectacular and I was busy. But, at 7:30, our FHE family called and said that they only had one person with a car show up and they needed another person. So, I decided I would go with my roommate, who has a car, and save them. We forgot that FHE was in Payson until we picked them up. And so we drove almost 30 minutes down to Payson, made some gingerbread houses out of graham crackers, then drove almost 30 minutes back. The entire thing took two and a half hours. When we got back just after 10 pm, all the driving exhausted me, so I worked on cleaning and went to bed sometime around midnight.

Tuesday was a busy morning. I got up a few minutes early so I could maybe get a little written on my paper before my 8 o'clock class. I didn't get much. After tap I met briefly with my teacher about the draft I turned in of my paper, then ran home to finish the cleaning. I took a Evan's car into work and spent the hour we were closed for devotional cleaning the inside out well and then washing the outside. Story of my life. When I went to park it again, there was no student parking available. I waited and waited but nothing. I went to other lots nearby and waited but nothing. It literally took me almost 45 minutes before I finally found a place to park 4 blocks from work. After work, I was able to use the car I had to take care of the most important thing I had to do outside of school this week. I went to the driver's license place in Orem (because the Provo office doesn't do new licenses). I have had an application filled out and the required documents ready to go for 2 months now, so I was ready. After convincing them to accept my proof of residency, I took a photo, took a quick eye test, paid $25, had my documents scanned, took an open book highway law test, and got my temporary license. This is important because 1, I need a valid license for my job; 2, I can legally help drive to Iowa for Christmas; 3, when my real license comes in a couple weeks, I can add it to my papers; and 4, it's always good to have a valid license. With that done I had a few minutes to eat before heading to class, where I worked on my paper. After class, I went up to Aspen Grove with my ward for a Christmas party. We had a nice turkey dinner and sang some songs.

Wednesday dawned with a lot of stress. I had a test in Music 201 I was not very ready for, a huge paper to finish for writing, an evaluation of my dance to do for tap, a Thursday test in tap, I had to go to the writing center as a requirement for my paper, I had to do a research tour and a test from earlier in the semester I forgot about, I had to peer review two 8 page papers and I had to work. What was worse is that the email I had attached my paper to in class was corrupted and so I had to re-write some stuff. (I later found that I had printed a copy but completely forgot it was sitting at the foot of my bed.) I got as much as I could done with my paper and ended the day with about 3 or 4 pages to write. The test went ok in Music. I'm pretty sure I passed but beyond that I have no high hopes.

Thursday was crunch day. I tested my tap dance and with the A- I got on the test, and having turned in my self evaluation that was 5% of my grade, I ended the class with a 93%, which secured my first complete college "A" (Jazz Dance was an "A-"). I was VERY stoked from that, which gave me the boost that pushed me through the rest of the day. After tap, I went and met with the adviser, talked about all the classes I would have to take, wrote them all down and signed to become an official Food Science Major taking the Food Industry Management track in the College of Life Sciences. That also gave me a big boost that also helped push me through the rest of the day. Work has been slow, so Thursday, since I didn't bike to work, I left a half hour early to give me time to walk home and still have a few hours to finish my paper with. At home I got to work with the goal of having the paper done by 4. I managed to have it done by 4:30. I ran to a computer lab, wrote a required reflection paper, printed my paper and my updated annotated bibliography and headed to the writing center. At 4:50, with 20 minutes before class where the paper was due, I got some MLA formatting advice that will save me several points on my grade. I ran down to a lab again and fixed the formatting errors and printed again. Having already read the papers I had to evaluate, I filled out the evaluation worksheets, put together the portfolio with all the different parts and turned it in, effectively completing all classwork for my honors writing course. My grade is currently an "A" and if this paper goes as good as I hope and the final isn't too bad that I'm taking next Wednesday, I should be able to pull an "A-" or "A" out.

When I said I ran places, I meant I literally ran there. Unfortunately, my cheap Wal-Mart shoes couldn't handle that. The right side of the left shoe's sole collapsed, so I have spent the past couple days walking around with a lot of pain that I'm sure is also not good for my foot. I'm looking at how to remedy the problem, but I know I can't afford any other shoes.

Having finished everything, Thursday night I went to a birthday party, had some food and talked to my friends in the ward. Then I went home and turned the projector on for almost the first time this week. I had it on but muted for the Jazz game and I think that was it this week. So I kicked back and watched some Netflix.

Today, Friday, I took the van driving certification course at 8 am, then worked from 10-2. The van course is for anyone who drives vans and though we at vehicle rental don't have the certification, they want us to now I guess. It's just watching some videos to make you not text and drive, some discussion about driving vans and then a video on defensive driving. You fill out a paper as you go and it's super, super easy. It was fun for me because the class was double booked, meaning twice as many people, and they were all on the men's and women's swim and dive team. So, I spent the morning surrounded by athletes who I'll likely cheer on later this year and talked a little to some of them. At work, with nothing to do but keep-me-busy-work, I worked out all the logistics for my big Christmas dinner party. Evan has a friend who has an 8 ft. table and he let us borrow it. It's sitting in my living room now. Without that, there is no way we could seat 19 people in my apartment. Now I just need chairs. Tonight I'm going out to get all the food. 2 hams, enough sweet potatoes, jello, veggies and kool-aid for 20 people. It's going to be a fantastic night Sunday and I really can't wait!


I think that's about everything that happened this week. It was super busy and super stressful and full of so many ups and downs. As my Facebook status said, it really did give me lots of perspective and I definitely felt very alive. I don't know if I'd volunteer to do it again (though I know I'll have lots of weeks just like this in the future), but I would definitely call this a great week.
0 Responses

    Followers