The Sabbath

Fast Sundays usually go ok, but generally seem a little longer and can be difficult at times. This one was by far the best in recent memory. My lesson in mission prep went very well from my perspective. I had several people come find me after to thank me for the lesson. I was just proud that I managed to make the lesson last as long as it needed to. It seemed like I was halfway through in the first five minutes, but I was able to slow things down and get discussion and make a good lesson out of it.

After church I did some home teaching and then quickly made my secret brownies for break the fast. Break the fast was great, well, the company was. The food was food storage soup that apparently was not wanted by someone or something like that. The creamy cheese potato soup was ok, but they had some veggie thing that wasn't re-constituted well and just tasted odd. But, my brownies were delicious and I was flattered again to have someone tell me they were the best brownies they had ever had. I'm starting to think people actually mean it when they say that about my food, but I don't know if anything I make is really the best of it's kind. Still though, I am very honored to receive such feedback and I'm happy I can share my food with such nice people.

As I mentioned before, I have a big Christmas dinner party coming up. I am very excited for this dinner for a few reasons. Obviously, I love to cook and the prospect of creating a banquet for 20 friends is way exciting to me. I just can't wait to get started with it all on Saturday. More importantly though, there are a lot of people who have been great friends, mentors and examples to me in this ward, and, given the amazing turn-around year I've had, I feel especially thankful this Christmas season for friends who give so selflessly to myself and others. I know a lot of people would go out and buy gifts for everyone, but I don't feel like a store bought gift would be a sufficient way of showing how much I appreciate my friends. Most of my excitement for this banquet is the opportunity I have to offer a place at my table for the people I care about and to share with them the joys of this season. I'm really looking forward to next Sunday's dinner party.

Having said that, here is a copy of the invitations I made and delivered this week, along with the poem I wrote and inserted with the invites.




Thanksgiving’s passed, the turkey’s gone,
ice and frost greet each dawn.
Freezing winds now fill the air;
I’ve pulled out my long underwear.

The days grow short, the nights are long,
outside you hear a Christmas song.
School is ending, finals near;
it’s time to get our butts in gear.

Very soon we’ll go our ways,
to celebrate the holidays.
But before we all go and depart,
I have an inquiry to impart.

My holiday joy would be increased,
if you’d join me for a Christmas feast.
A simple meal from me to you,
a symbol of a friend that’s true.

For is not friendship the real reason,
we celebrate the Christmas season?
We celebrate Him who gave his all,
so we can rise each time we fall.

Come my friend, and join with me,
in honoring the Nativity.
Set your Sabbath night aside,
and at my table, come reside.


This evening I watched a heartwarming, albeit cheesy, Christmas movie: The Christmas Shoes. I actually enjoyed it and it was a good end to a great Sunday. For the song of the day, enjoy the Christmas Shoes song.

0 Responses

    Followers