New Major?

So I've actually been thinking a lot recently about where I want to go in life. I know I've changed around a ton and it seemed like I settled with Communications, but, recently, with all the meals I've been making for people and all the fun I've had cooking and baking, I started looking again at the culinary industry. I've mulled over the idea of getting a degree in food science and doing BYU's track for food service management. I pushed that thought aside though because management requires math and I am no good at it. Last week when I was at grandmas, I had some unique and special experiences with grandpa. In the past, grandpa has never really offered much advice other than "go where the money is". Other than things like that, most of what he said to me is "what are we going to do with this boy." Anyway, last week he talked to Mike and I about his military service and other things he almost never talks about. One day we were talking about architecture and I said I could never be an engineer because I am bad at math. His reply was "No, you aren't bad at it, you just don't try hard enough and apply it." You all know that I'm somewhat stubborn, so it's no surprise that at first, my reaction was "pshaw! I am horrible at math, no matter how much I try to apply it!!" But, that's really stuck with me this week. Math is hard, yes, but he was right. Probably 90% of the reason I fail at math is because I believe I will fail and I make little effort to change that. I do that with a lot of things in life. I believe I will fail and then I do. I don't give myself the chance. Tonight though, I went to deliver my Christmas Dinner Party invitations. The last stop was my good friend Hilary...Hils for short. She invited me and my roommate (my chauffeur) in and we got to talking. I mentioned how I'm trying to decide what to do next semester and how I might try going to UVU and take culinary classes. I said how I didn't really want to go to UVU and how I would feel like I was abandoning BYU. She brought up BYU's food science degree with food management emphasis and I thought, yeah, that'd be fun, I've looked into it before. When I got home I watched the new Psych episode and then pulled up the food management degree page. I've read it in the past and the daunting classes of chemistry and biology and accounting that scared me away from it before looked back at me once again. This time though, I thought of what grandpa said and I thought of all the similar words of encouragement people have given to me recently. When I thought of all those things and as I thought of the prospect of going through with it, it felt really good to me. I then got really excited and I made a decision. Tomorrow, I'm going to make a change in my life. I'm not going to let a little math, or a lot for that matter, keep me from doing what I really love and what I am gifted at. Tomorrow, I'm going to see what I need to do to declare my major in food science.

In less life-altering news, the Jazz won, as did BYU's basketball team! Both are now on a 7 game win streak.

For the song of the day, it's only appropriate to have "The Times are a Changing"

PS- This week has certainly been interesting. Monday I thought I was going to kill myself suffering from writer's block and doing nothing for 8 hours. Tuesday I turn it all around and get the paper written and have an awesome day. Then today I make a life-changing decision. I'm kind of nervous for the rest of the week now...
0 Responses

    Followers