Moving

I have given it a lot of thought and I have decided to move. Just to a new apartment though. I really like the townhouse I'm living in, but there are a lot of things I would like to change and get away from, so, this week I am hopefully going to finalize a new place to live. Before all of you back home starting sighing and wondering what I'm thinking, let me put your minds at ease. I have been contemplating moving for some time, but it did not really seem right, so I stayed put. Then, yesterday, when I walked into my apartment, I had an experience that got me thinking about moving again. This time, though, I had reasons for wanting to move and it felt like it was time to do it. So far things have gone well. I have one friend who had not re-signed his contract for next semester, so he is available to room with me. Then, another friend might be able to once he finds out how much his financial aid will cover on his tuition. With good friends who share my values and I can trust living with me, I feel much more at peace with where I stand and where I'm going. I'm looking at a few places Wednesday and hopefully we can get things squared away this week. One thing is for absolute certain though: I will not be living here after the end of this month.

As I mentioned yesterday, I had a serious story to tell. Here it is. At the start of the summer, down at the resort, I was taking a nap between shifts. This particular day, I had an interesting dream. In the dream, it was winter and very cold out. There was ice on the ground and frost on the cars. I was standing by a car at a gas station, staring across the street at some buildings that were unfamiliar to me. In fact, the whole setting of the scene was unfamiliar to me. I just remember looking across at those buildings as cars drove by on a major road between me and the buildings. Well, last Tuesday, the 13th, I was on my way to deliver that wreath I had made. I was low on gas, so I stopped in at the 7-eleven by my house to put some fuel in. It was a frigid evening, and a small snowstorm that day had left the ground very icy. I swiped my card and began fueling up. As I waited, I looked across the street. Then it hit me. Usually in circumstances like that, I would say "Deja vu!" and freak out until the moment had passed. But this was no usual deja vu moment; this time, it was not an "I've been here before but don't know when" moment. This time, I became very calm as the exact memory of that day and that dream at the resort came back to me. In a way that would make Hollywood movie makers envious, I watched in complete awe as the dream and my present view synced up. The gas station was the same; it was the 7-eleven by my house. The car was the same; it was the car I got from my sister months after the dream. The buildings across the street were the same; they are the Cache Valley Shopping Mall. Everything was there, right down to the ice on the ground. It was a very powerful moment. Very powerful indeed.

Today, I would like to do a dedication song again. Everyone tells me I do not smile, but most people don't really try to make me. I admit my natural, at-rest face is not a wide smile. There are a few of those crazy people out there though who always give me a genuine smile and who do make me smile, even if it is only on the inside sometimes. Today, I want to dedicate our Song of the Day to one of those crazy smiling people. Katie Kapp, this one's for you, it's "Smile" by Uncle Kracker (whose real name is Matthew Shafer...if anyone cares).
0 Responses

    Followers