The DMV


I had the day off today and went to the DMV. I had all the correct forms filled out properly the first time and my car was registered and ready for the road in under 5 minutes.




'donald-duck-020.gif
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

PUH-LEASE! 

THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT STRICTLY PROHIBITS ANYONE FROM GETTING ANYTHING DONE IN ONE VISIT!

The actual story of the DMV is abridged as follows:

I awoke to the peaceful sunshine gleaming across my well rested eyes. I jumped out of bed, excited to dart around town running my various errands. Number one on my list, both in priority and in anticipation, was the DMV. Having recently taken over ownership of my sister's Ford Explorer, the car was due to be registered in my name. I quickly showered, shaved and began my preparations for the DMV. I was unsure what forms I would need and turned to the internet. After some uncertainty, I remembered a page of guidelines sent to me by the bank. With high certitude, I departed. First stop was the auto shop for a safety inspection. Like a lightning strike, by the time I blinked, the inspection was done. A few minutes later, the paperwork to go with the inspection was completed and I headed to the DMV on my way to campus to print out forms. I wanted to make sure I had everything correct the first time so there would be no back and forth all day, so I popped my head in and spoke with a very kind elderly lady who affirmed the forms I would need and gave me two of them to fill out. With me and the DMV on the same page, I went up to campus in my officially certified safe vehicle. After exchanging pleasantries with friends and co-workers, I was able to slip away from the social butterflies to print off the Application for Utah Title from the email from the bank. All of the correct forms filled out, I then swung by home to grab the bank provided check for registration I had forgotten. The completed package finally together, I whistled happy tunes with a smile on my way to the DMV. The kind lady I had spoken to previously was on lunch, so I conversed this time with an even more pleasant lady. I presented all the properly filled out forms, she typed in the information and presented me with a bill of $800. Shocked, I asked why it was $800 rather than the $108 it should be. So silly of me, a normal person with zero knowledge of car registrations and the forms that go with it, I had put the value of the car on the Bill of Sale when the car was a gift, not a purchase. The delightfully helpful clerk let me know I would need the form to say gift to be processed and sent me to fix it. Downstairs, I found an office with white-out and corrected the silly error. I went back up and was directed to a different pleasant lady due to another customer being helped by the second one I was working with. The third lady ever so politely rejected my white-out solution, saying I needed a whole new form. She gave me a new one and I left again. Concerned that they would reject my using an unofficial form of power of attorney to sign the form on my sister's behalf (she lives 2068 miles away in Virginia), I called home seeking the official form she signed for the bank gifting her interest of the car to me. While I patiently waited to see if we had a copy at home, I jovially cruised to Chick-Fil-A and got lunch. For any interested parties, if you like banana cream pie, you will LOVE the limited-time-only Banana Pudding Milkshake from Chick-Fil-A. Back on topic, my family could not locate a copy of the form, so I decided to give one final try with the second lady. I filled out the Bill of Sale with "Gift" in the amount, signed it and headed back up to the second floor of the county building to the DMV. I walked in and was helped by the third lady, who was suspicious of me. Thankfully, as soon as I stepped to the counter, the second lady became available and I asked if she could finish what she started. The third lady recused herself and even left the room as I moved to the next spot over. This time, everything was in order and I signed up for special interest plates. I'm loving being here at Utah State, so I got BYU plates! I know my true blue Aggie friends will hate me for it, but their major beef is with BYU Athletics. No one can or has argued with the high caliber education BYU offers, and I wanted to contribute to that in some way, so, with these plates, every year I register the car with them, I donate $35 that goes to the BYU General Scholarship Fund. Don't worry all you Aggies...between catering, attending on-campus events, service projects and other things I do here, I am contributing plenty to the equally important endeavors of the other great university in the state (the University of Utah gets nothing, sorry). All in all though, I had an absolutely pleasurable experience with the DMV today and I would highly recommend them to everyone...*cough* *cough*
0 Responses

    Followers