Nutrition

Today was freezing cold again. So cold that the automated car wash at work froze, so we had to hand-wash the vehicles in the wash bay, and even though it is heated, when you open the door, you freeze instantly. Thankfully the wonderful sun has been shining brightly, which helps heat up the insides of the vehicles and helps a teeny bit to warm us up. The cold definitely complicates work, especially when this weekend is another super-duper busy one and almost every vehicle in the fleet is going out tomorrow. At last count there were about 52 scheduled to go out. It will be a busy day tomorrow.

I will miss a little work tomorrow for a dentist visit. Hurray.

So, what I'm really excited about is what I did for my nutrition class today. This week I took note of (almost) everything I ate for three days for our nutrition analysis assignment. It's exactly what it sounds like. An in-depth analysis of my nutrition. I inputted the foods I ate and added the closest food listed in their database. Most brand name foods are there and generally you can find something pretty close to what homemade recipes you make. It may be a little off, but when it comes to nutrition, the guidelines for intakes are broad and general in certain areas...but that's irrelevant for you to know right now anyway. After inputting my servings in for everything I ate, I could look at an analysis for tons of things. I could look at specific vitamins and minerals and see if I am getting enough. I can look at fats and see if I'm getting the right amount of calories from fats, but not too much of unhealthy saturated fats. I could look to see if I'm getting the right amounts of grains, fruits, vegetables, milk, and meats. It was super cool. From the small 3 day sample I had, I found I need to increase my intake of Vitamin A, Zinc, and Fiber. I could also benefit greatly from reducing my sodium intake. My fats were right in the range they needed to be. What's great is that you can input your food intakes every day and track your nutrition that closely. And that's just the food intake analysis part of the site. You can also input your personal info and find out how many calories you should get based on your daily exercise to maintain your weight, lose weight, or, in my case, gain some weight. I am actually setting a goal to utilize the recommendations and analysis information to help me get the caloric intake I need, coupled with the exercise I need, to increase my energy and increase my weight to a healthy level (I have been hovering just below a healthy weight for my height and age since I got sick 3 years ago). The website is run by the USDA and is:

http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/

I urge everyone to become familiar with it and use it to eat and ultimately be healthy. Nutritious eating habits are vital to being healthy and you'd be surprised how lacking you may be in a vitamin or mineral you thought you were getting enough of.

Oh...and I hope you enjoyed the song of the day..."I LIKE TO OAT, OPPLES AND BONONOS!' hehehehe...classic
0 Responses

    Followers