Productive and Fun Weekend

I love when I don't have to work on a weekend and I have lots of fun and/or productive things to do.

Friday I was only scheduled for 3 hours of work. My car was low on gas and usually when it's really close to empty and I park on the inclined driveway, the gas tilts away from wherever it's supposed to go and I can't start it. That happened Friday. Thankfully, I was leaving my house an hour before work so I could go dispute a Comcast bill. It is unfortunate that the car died and now I can't dispute the bill until next week, but, it was a beautiful 50 degree sunny day after 3 days of cloudiness and rain and snow, so I walked to work, which felt amazing. At work, I was invited to a hockey game with Chef Rich, Dave, who I have not mentioned before but he is the Marketplace Customer Service Manager and he's an awesome guy, and then three other guys I also know well. We have a contract with US Foods that makes them pretty much our food supplier, and they had a suite at a Utah Grizzlies hockey game at the Maverick Center in the Salt Lake and invited Rich and whoever he wanted to bring to come down and enjoy the game. Someone had dropped out at the last minute and since I was there and was getting off work in time to go, I decided to go with them. We had a great time, the suite was cool, the game was really good. It ended in a shootout that Utah won 4-3. It was a genuinely fun time.

Saturday morning I went over and helped Cami, her dad and brother move Cami out of her apartment. She sold her contract and will now save lots of money by staying at home. I remember the days in Texas and Kentucky when we were helping people move all the time. Out here I don't get as many opportunities to help with things like that so I was grateful to be able to help Cami move again.

Kind of a random side note here. Just thinking about liking service opportunities, I am very glad I did not spend my whole life here in Utah. I think here in Utah people get tired of things like helping someone move and whatnot. With such a huge LDS population a lot of things are kind of an accepted normal, even though many people usually dislike some of that. For me, there's nothing I love more than jumping in and helping someone move or driving someone without a car somewhere important, or making cookies or a meal for someone who is down or is stressed. I do it because it feels good and there is really no thinking twice about it. I know not everyone here is like this, but I feel like sometimes people do things more because it's the way things are rather than they have a true desire.

Anyway...it was also good to get up early and start working because I had a lot to do at my place and I was ready to go once Cami was on her way. I got home and got right to work. I started a load of laundry and then spent two hours cleaning out the garage and re-organizing it so I can start parking in there again. I do not want to spend all winter clearing my car of snow and deicing it in the frigid air. Parking in the garage just makes a whole lot more sense. You may hear people who say they are true winter folks because they clear their cars every snowfall and they endure the cold and wetness to do it and yada, yada, yada...yeah, they prolly just don't have a garage. A true hard-core winter person would keep their car safe in the garage.

Once the garage was clean and my car was parked inside, I moved indoors. Dishes, wiping counters, cleaning sinks, vacuuming floors, continuing laundry, just going room to room doing what had to be done. Another couple hours and the house was once again beautiful. I then showered, shaved, played some piano, watched some tv, worked on some upcoming events I'm hosting, had some dinner, and then around 8 went over to a friend's party. I stayed there for a bit and then came back home, tired and ready for a good night's sleep. It's stake conference this week so we'll get church over with early in the day. HURRAY!

Sunday afternoon will probably have a nap in it, I'll try to remember to email recipes to Sister Annie in South Carolina, I'll Skype home to see if the windows are boarded up for Sandy back in Virginia, I may find motivation to make cookies since I keep all the ingredients in stock most always, we'll watch the new episode of the Walking Dead, I'll put in my bleach trays for an hour, then I'll complete the successful weekend with a good night's rest to prepare me for another week.

Things to watch for this week: Pregnant sister Amelia is due to have her baby next Sunday I believe, so be watching for news on that. I will finally become an uncle. Still deciding if I'll be Colonel Uncle or Uncle Colonel. This week is also Halloween, hurray! It is the final week of election season too so I'll be watching the polls and the news as closely as ever. I generally have to go look every two hours no matter where I am or what I'm doing. Oh, and the clocks fall back next Sunday too, be aware. Alright, I think that's all I got.

The Song of the Day is from the Piano Guys. It's their Over the Rainbow/Simple Gifts mix. I think it provides a good tone for how upbeat this weekend has been.
0 Responses

    Followers