Last Couple Days

Four full days of work are now under my belt. In the morning, which will be over by the time you all read this, I am running the morning breakfast alone. I will be the only cook there. Just me. All by myself. Uno chef. Yours truly. It won't be too hard. The only thing that has been difficult is learning how Chef Frances wants everything. She does a lot of things differently and it has to be done right the way she wants it, so there's been some tense moments. I figure the first couple weeks will be like this until I know everything well. The kitchen has been a little unorganized, but it's mostly the way we want it now, so I hopefully won't have to go looking for things in 5 different places. Despite the stress and tense moments and 10-11 hour days this week, I'm still excited to be here and to hopefully learn a ton.

The past couple nights I enjoyed a couple campfires. There was an employee one that was ok, then there were some guests that had one that me and a couple of my dining room staff went over to. That one was great. There were two small guest groups with people from all over. One group of two ladies was from Vegas. One is a police officer and the other a bar owner. I think it was a mother/daughter kind of thing. I swear the police woman was on Cops once. The other group was 5 ladies who all came together for a vacation. The grandma from Vegas, the mom from Florida, the daughter from college somewhere, and the other daughter lives in England. They had dined here a couple times so we were familiar with them. Anyway, they were a hilarious bunch of people and it was a fun time sitting out on a nice night around a fire. They all came in this morning for breakfast and said hello.

It's nice to meet guests here and find out where they are all from and why they come here. Some have been here before and love it, others have been in the area before but not to our resort, which was the case with the Vegas ladies, who always come up to the St. George area every year for a nice vacation. I met an older gentleman from Seattle who was taking a long trip and was staying here for 4 nights. He and his wife will then head down to Arizona, possibly stop at the Grand Canyon, then visit a museum of natural that he is excited to see that has exhibits on how the area was formed and all that. They have a couple other stops planned and will be on the road for a good little while.

Things are going good. I'm getting plenty of sleep. I'm up at 6:30 and into work at 7. Right now I work till about 1 and then have a couple hours off to rest more and such before going in from around 3 or 4 till 8 or so. Once more kitchen staff get here and get trained, I'll work more just mornings, but Chef Frances wants me to cook with her a lot, so I'll be doing a lot of everything. Right now I'm just trying to master all I can so I solidify my spot as a leader in the kitchen. Frances has tons of confidence in me and has told me how she really, really, really wanted me to come down here and that I am perfect for the job. She said even before talking with the chef I worked with before she picked me out of 50 applications for the job. I certainly don't want to let them down because they seriously can't stress enough to me how much they wanted me to come down and work and learn and be a part of the kitchen this year. I will say though, it feels good to be wanted and appreciated...especially after some of the jobs I've had *cough* Sundance and Seven Peaks *cough*

Feel free to write me letters.

Jon Meier
C/O Zion Ponderosa
P.O. Box 5547
Mt. Carmel, UT 84755

Oh, and this song is dedicated to dad. I'm sure he's singing along right now. If he's at home, I'm sure everyone is singing along right now. You'll have to add your own "woo hoos" in the chorus ($20 says he already has).
0 Responses

    Followers