The World Today

I've done a lot of thinking lately about the state of the world today. Specifically, I was thinking about marriage. A few states this week have legalized gay marriage and I got to thinking about how and why we got to this point. Today, I just wanted to share some thoughts I had about marriage, divorce, and what love is nowadays.

It disappoints me to hear women frequently say things like "I'm scared to get married because I don't want to get divorced." Or even worse: "Well, if it doesn't work out, I'll just get a divorce." In my opinion, the ever increasing pace of the world has harmed the way we love. For some, love is confused with like. In the past, people took real time to get to know each other before considering marriage. Now, it seems that marriage is just something else you try out if you want. I see less and less people who truly care about each other and more people who just want to get married, it seems, because when you like someone, that's just what you do. If I may be so bold to say, I think that the notion that marriage is just something to try or something you can get out of if it doesn't work is absolutely despicable. Furthermore, I think that anyone, especially celebrities, who go into a marriage without true love and commitment proved through a courtship based on getting to know each other intellectually, not just physically, deserve to have a piano fall on them.

This goes back to what I mentioned on Valentine's Day about dating these days. Guys and girls alike seem to think that they don't have the time to actually date someone for a long time. Of course, dating for a long time before getting married is not always successful. I see people all the time who date for years and years only to find that they never really fit right for marriage. It can be frustrating I know, but if you want success, I guarantee if you go back to the fundamentals of courtship, one day, if it is right, you will find a love that will last. You don't have to subscribe to things like kiss on the 3rd date, or if you aren't holding hands by the 3rd date, forget it. I'm gonna say something that may just shock you: follow your feelings and, believe it or not, pray about it. But, don't expect a choir of angels to descend and sing Hallelujah; just like if you're looking for answers for other important things, seek peace and solitude, listen close, and see what you can discern.

To my single friends, there are far too many other things to stress you out in these times for you to become distraught over love. Work towards finding that happiness, give it real effort, but do not judge yourself if things progress slow or you have failures. I would much rather see my good friends enter a marriage that will last than watch what their temporary happiness fade in the bitter courts of divorce.

Another good friend recently mentioned on Facebook how love songs have changed a lot. I have always liked the older ones, and today I chose one for our song of the day. This one has been a favorite for many, many years, it's "Annie's Song" by John Denver.
0 Responses

    Followers