Simpler Times

I often dream of living in a different kind of world than we have today. Sometimes, I imagine living in a post-apocalyptic world, say, after the zombie apocalypse. Other times, I think of surviving in a world devastated by a plague. Today, as I have frequently done in the past, I found myself contemplating living in simpler times.

If you know me, then you probably understand that I am a little different in my approach to life. I often differ from my generation in how I think and act. For one, I follow politics world-wide and I have a deep and profound love for my country. More seriously though, I still believe that every girl deserves flowers at least once in life (aside from their wedding). A handshake to me is more binding than a contract is to others. Satisfaction comes from laboring hard, and I get disappointed when I sleep in. A clean house is essential and a garden out back is pleasing. My music is mellow, much of it centered around core emotions, and sometimes all I need is a piano to feel at peace. I stop to smell the flowers and I take time to notice the little things.  Friendship to me is more than having someone to hang out with, it's always thinking of what I can do to improve another person's life.

Today, I read an article that had me wishing we were in simpler times. The article (found HERE) was about a place in California called Slabcity, where many people have moved to live off the grid. I certainly would not want to move to that particular place, but I sure would like to visit and see. I also heard of a similar place in Arizona where many retirees who travel and/or work in the summer months go and park in the winter. They have a close little community where they just enjoy the warm winter and do nothing but relax and visit with each other. A city is a few miles away for their needs, but other than that, they are free from the busy world.

There are days where I truly wish the world would collapse and we could go back to simpler lives with no banks, no cable tv, no ridiculous entertainment industry; a time where judgement was left to God and you had to really labor to survive. But, alas, for now I am resigned to muddle through this maze of a world where money rules and expectations rise every minute.

Our song of the day is by one of my favorite artists, someone who understood life similarly and whose music has helped me feel alive during the darker times of my life. Enjoy "Rhymes and Reason" by John Denver.
0 Responses

    Followers