Valentine's Day

I logged into my blog to deliver what would have been a long and strong-worded tirade against the ludicrous entertainment industry, but then I got excited about us single dudes cooking steak and shrimp for Valentine's Day dinner, so I went to the store at 11 pm to buy everything. When I got back, I realized that the vociferous post railing against Hollywood would have to wait and that today, I would rather share a more appropriate message.

Valentine's Day is, in my opinion, a great holiday. Back in the old day, chivalry was alive and well and women were treated with respect and dignity the way they ought to be. These days, things like opening doors, buying flowers, leaving kind notes, and respecting a woman's body are considered old-fashion or out of date. Thankfully though, there is one day of the year where most men take the opportunity to do something special for their significant other. However, it is not solely a holiday for couples. For those who currently do not have a significant other, it provides an opportunity to show good friends and family how much you care about them.

While we are on the topic of couples and relationships, I just want to throw out a few suggestions to all of you about showing appreciation for loved ones.

First of all, to the guys out there. Every girl deserves flowers. But please, don't go to Wal-Mart and pick out the clearance bouquet or the cheapest nice red roses you can find. Roses are great, but there are so many absolutely gorgeous flowers out there to choose from. When at all possible, visit your local florist and customize your bouquet. If she has a favorite flower, build the bouquet around that flower, but other flowers to accent it. If you don't know her favorite flower, or if you do and you want to do something different, find a flower that when you look at it makes you think of her. I recently got flowers for a good friend I was taking out for her birthday. I spent a good 10 minutes looking at all the flowers before settling on some Gerber Daisies that seemed a good choice for this girl. It turned out that those were her favorite flower and she loved them. Lastly on the topic, flowers should be an unexpected surprise, both in the fact that you got flowers, but also in the thought that will show in the flowers you present to her.

For both girls and guys I highly recommend home made gift baskets. They are super simple to make, but the thought you can put into them and the effect they can have on someone is tremendous. The best part is you can spend any amount from $0 to $100 or more. They work for any and every occasion.  Get a basket (Hobby Lobby has their baskets at half off for a good part of the year and they have them in all sizes), a card, some tissue paper (dirt cheap at the craft stores), then whatever you want to put inside. Fruit, sparkling cider, candy, bath soap, toys, anything. On Valentine's Day you can combine flowers in a gift basket to add a very nice touch. Just coordinate colors and you'll be fine.

Lastly, it's the little things. Smile always, care deeply, and always be the best you can for the ones you love and you will always come out on top.

Our song for Valentine's Day is one of my favorites: "You and Me" by Lifehouse. In the spirit of Valentine's Day I'll share a cheesy secret about me. When I hear this song, I always envision myself dancing to it with the girl of my dreams. I have yet to ever dance to this song, but maybe one day I will get that slow dance with the future Mrs. Colonel Meier.
0 Responses

    Followers