I Am Now A Writer

If you know me very well, you probably know that I get around to doing what I am best suited for at my own pace. People tell me time and time again I should do this or I should do that. Even more people think it to themselves, and then, one day, I come to the realization that I ought to try that thing and everyone says, "It's about time you started doing that!! We thought you should have gone into that forever ago!"

So...lay it on me. You've all said I had talent in writing for years and pushed and shoved me towards writing opportunities, but beyond my private writings (mostly witty poetry), school papers, and this blog, I never tried. Now, as I mentioned before, I will be writing for the University Catering blog. When I announced it before though, it was a limited role, and now, after some meetings and lots of thought, I have agreed to be entirely responsible for all content on the blog. This week I am revamping the look and my first post will likely come Friday, with weekly posts coming each Wednesday. I see the catering blog as a valuable marketing tool that provides entertainment as well as information. I expect two kinds of people to read it. First, those with a vested interest in it, such as some of you who will undoubtedly want to see what I write and also some people on campus with an interest in catering. Second, those who happen upon it either because they want to know more about catering, because they are interested in using our services, or those who happen upon it by accident and click around to read things they may find interesting. No matter who sees the blog, the goal is to have enough content on there that they get to know who University Catering is, and hopefully they will remember that so if one day they or someone they know does need some catering, they will come to us. I am excited to build our blog. I have always had an interest in marketing, but I have no formal experience and these days, no experience means essentially no opportunity. Who knew that experience in a personal blog would translate to venturing into the world of marketing!

That is basically the only exciting news I have. I did go to the library and now have a library card so I can continue reading without having to buy books. Currently, I am reading a book called "Living Your Life for Half the Price". Next up are some political biographies and Utah history books. I have also been re-reading the Book of Mormon and on Sunday I finished 2nd Nephi, Jacob, Enos, Jarom, Omni, and the Words of Mormon. This week I will get to Alma. Sundays are my main reading days as I have chosen to keep my Sundays free of all housework, homework, and really most any work. Most weekdays, I usually manage a half hour to an hour of reading before bed as well, and because I work between 6 and 7 every day, bedtime is no later than 11, but usually by 10-10:30.

The weather has finally been sunny and we had a few temperatures up in the mid to upper 30s and some rain. I chuckle at the people talking of spring, because spring doesn't really come until mid-April. Expect a couple more significant snowstorms before things stay warm. But, don't forget that THIS SUNDAY, our clocks "spring forward" an hour.

Alright, I'm back to rambling so it is time to split. Look for a new post here Friday that will announce my first post on the catering blog.

Song of the Day is an instrumental version of "Sail" by Awolnation. I chose instrumental because that's the catchy part. The lyrics make no sense to me. Though be warned, as I'm sure you realized since you are already at the bottom of this post, it's not a full instrumental, they just cut the lyric track minus the "SAIL!" yelling and some "lalalas". I guess they were worried you might not know the name of the song...who can forget now.






0 Responses

    Followers