Fiscal Happenings

As previously noted, I am working to eliminate my debts so I can begin investing my money and putting money away for retirement. The sooner I do that, the better.

I still have a long, long way to go, but I have done a few things to save money I thought I would share.

Firstly, if that is even a word, I finally decided to permanently quit paying someone to cut my hair. Last summer we shaved our heads, but that was for funsies more than saving money. I do not know much about cutting hair, but I have a length I like that I buzz it to now and I have a roommate clean up the neck, though I think I need a more competent person doing that as the roommate I had help this time left me bleeding and bruised, literally, all over. He pretty much jabbed the attachment-less buzzer at me, not realizing that sharp, pointy metal objects are not gentle. Thankfully it has almost all healed now.

Nummer zwei (that means number 2, in German), now that the weather is warming up, I will wash my car by hand. Rather than paying $8-$10 per wash, and I wash my car at least twice a month in summer, I'll be paying only for the cost of soap, which I have not yet bought because I have not researched the best options yet. It will be almost 50 degrees this week though, so I will get on that ASAP (look there, I used an acronym...but it's a nostalgic, cool acronym, not a lazy, pointless, worthless acronym such like unto the ones we find today).

Tres lechesly (now I know that is not a word, but I love Tres Leches), I own a lot of stuff. Not much is worth selling, if anything, but I do have one or two items I do not need or use that I can sell that would bring in a small sum of cash.

The number of parts of a whole quartered and added with a "th" and "ly"(that's fourthly, for those who are as confused as I), a penny saved is a penny earned. I have always collected spare change on a small scale both in my car and in my Korean pig piggy bank in my room. Generally, when the pig becomes full, I take it to a coin machine, collect about $15-$20 and deposit it into my account. The change in my car usually buys me a couple McDoubles when I'm craving them. However, I will be upgrading my coin-saving operations to save for the long-term. I have a large, plastic jar I would like to fill. That jar is not to be touched until it is full, at which time I will get an even larger container for my coins. I will save every coin I get as change, as well as every coin I find on the ground.

Those are the main things I am doing, aside from limiting my expenditures and working to reduce my cost of living. I generally have to drive to work due to the cold, dark, and lack of public transport at the early hours I work, but if I ever work later and can take the free public bus that stops not a half block from here and would get me within walking distance of work, I will do that. I have a bike but it is in dismal shape and may be dead now. I did pay a required student fee as part of tuition where I can rent a bike for three months if one is available. I can cook on the rare occasions I have company over, so there is little need to go spend money on the plethora of sub-par restaurants in town.

Having a car is a huge blessing, but having the one I have is also a thorn in my side. I enjoy imagining having an extra $406 to pay off debts and invest in my future, but I know in the end I need the car. I just have to keep it healthy.

It is Sunday, so our Song of the Day is an uplifting one. Whether working to achieve financial stability or trying to find peace and solace in the busy world, I can personally attest that only the fool tries to do it alone. We need help from our Heavenly Father, the heavenly hosts of angels, and the atoning sacrifice of our Savior and Redeemer Jesus Christ. Our Song of the Day is "I Need Thee Every Hour" sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
0 Responses

    Followers