Get The Most Out of Life

I would like to acknowledge our Song of the Day first today and ask that if possible, you read today's post with sound on so that the spirit of my message might be better felt. Our songs are "Because I Have Been Given Much" played by Marvin Goldstein and "Each Life That Touches Ours for Good" sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

In church today we had a very good lesson and discussion about some things that I felt I should write down. I jotted down some notes and since this is something that applies to everyone, I wanted to share it and hopefully it will help inspire some of you as it did me.

Essentially, we were talking about getting the most out of our lives. Older people had been asked what they would have done better or more of in life and as we read the answers we got to talking about spending time with those we love. In these modern times, we have Facebook and YouTube and whatnot and we read a great quote that said that often we spend too much time sharing trivial things and linking things to friends and family. There is, of course, a time for those things, but doing them too often has its consequences. I think back to a Facebook post I wrote recently about how I am terrible at wasting my time. It said this:

"I wish I was better at using free time...I swear I cycle through the same 3 websites (Facebook, yahoo/email, and a news site) 10 times, then I get up, get a snack/drink, sit back down, cycle through them again...an hour or so later, the monotony gets to be too much, so I walk around my house...when I realize nothing in my house is of interest, it's back to the 3 websites once again...occasionally the routine is broken by me having to pee and sometimes I find a movie to watch, but I really think about 85% of my times is wasted in my cycle of websites and walking around..."

I posted it jokingly, but also with the realization that I can and should be doing much more with my time. Facebook is a great tool to share things with friends and family who are far away, such as when I post my blog link on there. It has great use for certain things, but when all we do is cycle through and through and share rather pointless things, it really does become a bad habit. As someone remarked in our lesson, being on Facebook isn't a sin, but if it is preventing us from doing more important things, it is a problem.

The internet discussion led us to talking about interacting with friends. I can personally attest that the following statement is absolutely true: There is NO alternative to spending real time with someone. No matter how much you may message on facebook, or like someone's statuses, or share youtube videos, or even text message all day long, being with that person, spending actual time together, is irreplaceable. I have some personal examples. This Thanksgiving I spent time with my brother. We occasionally talk online and share funny videos from time to time, but actually spending time with him is a completely different experience. We never stop laughing, we go play sports. The quality of life for the time we hang out is 100% better. Another example occurred also over the break with Cami. Here is what I posted about it on Facebook:

"I am grateful for the tender mercies in this life. Tuesday night, my best friend lost the centerpiece of her world, her beloved dog. She and her dog shared the sweetest love I have ever seen between a dog and owner. So sweet and gentle was their love that tears filled my eyes upon hearing the tragic news. Today, I went to see her. I was heartbroken and thought that it would be many days before the deep feelings of sorrow began to lift. However, this morning, before I visited, she was introduced to a tiny pup in need of a loving home. It was mere hours since her loss, but, as if it were meant to be, the new pup crawled up onto her shoulder the same way her other dog had and she was moved to bring him home with her. I arrived and expressed my sympathies and was introduced to the pup. I very quickly realized that this dog was sent to her home to bless it with joy and happiness. Dealing with the recent loss will be a painful and difficult trial for them, but I find peace in knowing that although we cannot explain why such a loving dog had to be taken from this life, He is ever mindful of us. I was able to spend half of my day with my friend and her family and I saw that this trial has drawn them all a little closer together. This Thanksgiving, I am grateful for the experience I had in witnessing the growth of a family's bond in the midst of adversity."
That experience made a big impact in my life. I will always remember the way I felt that day. Had I not gone out to see her, I would have wasted an entire day cycling through my 3 websites, watching tv, and sleeping.


Our discussion in class moved on to how we can make real behavior changes. The bishop made a great comment about things he has done. He wanted to be better at going to the temple, so he put a temple bag in his car and a shirt and tie so if he was driving by and wanted to stop, he could. He wanted to hike more, so he put a hiking bag in his car with shoes and snacks and water so if someone called him up and wanted to go for a hike, he could. Reading scriptures each night was difficult for him, so he keeps his scriptures on his pillow so he physically has to move them before he can go to bed. If all we do is write down what we want to accomplish, chances are, we won't get very far. Making real behavior changes requires a lot of effort and I think if we put actual physical things in our way to force us to change, it will do a lot. Or, if we want to stop doing something, physically remove things, like if you want to watch less tv, you could move the tv or put a cover over it. Be creative in your methods because it makes a difference.

There are a few hymns that have stuck with me the past couple weeks as I have begun my quest to make the most of my time and to give more of myself. First, Hymn 219:

Because I have been given much, I too must give.
Because of thy great bounty, Lord each day I live.
I shall divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see,
who has the need of help from me.

Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care…
I cannot see another’s lack and I not share-
my glowing fire, my loaf of bread-my roof’s safe shelter over head,
that he too may be comforted.

Because I have been blessed by thy great love dear Lord,
I’ll share thy love again according to thy word.
I shall give love to those in need. I’ll show that love by word and deed,
thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.

Second, Hymn 293-

Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.



What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior’s name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.



I hope that we will all strive to spend less time with the trivial things in life and work harder on the important ones. I will leave you with a scripture found in Matthew 6:19-21.

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
0 Responses

    Followers