Moving On

I would be lying to you if I said the election did not affect me. It did. A lot. But I would also be lying to you if I said I was bitter about the results. I went into election night feeling as confident as could be. I expected a big victory and I was excited for America's real comeback. That did not happen. Around the time I expected everything to start breaking our way, things turned the other way. Live results sway back and forth, but signs began to point to a re-election victory. I held out hope as long as I could, but soon every projection hurt and each time they said "we have another projection for you" my heart raced. When they made big projections such as the GOP keeping the House and the Dems keeping the Senate, they would say "we have a huge projection for you"...on those, my whole body stopped. Then it came. I knew this one was it. I knew that over a year of believing and fighting and donating and talking and reading and waiting was all about to come to the wrong end. The announcement was made. I closed my laptop. My eyes gently closed, my head fell slightly, I took a deep breath and released it slowly. I stood up, walked across the room, my lips pursed. I put my forehead against the wall. I took in the moment, felt the disappointment and tried to understand it.

I reopened my computer and remained in front of my tv to watch the brief concession speech. I wrote a message to my little sister and also to my best friend that I was proud of them for getting involved. I truly am proud of them. Now, a week later, my resolve has not changed. The man I wanted to lead will not, but I still have goals to achieve. I have a future to prepare for. I have hopes and dreams to follow. The path may have more bumps in it now, but I will never stop fighting for what I believe in, both in my personal and this nation's future.

 With the elections done, I have a lot to do. Register for school, keep working, host two holiday parties, make it home for Christmas. The world keeps spinning.

Song of the Day is "May it Be" by Enya.
0 Responses

    Followers