The Wow Moment

I was heading home from a long day at work today and as I turned a corner, I had a wow moment. I look around me and I thought, wow, I'm living and working in Logan, Utah.

A picture of campus
It's an interesting story how I ended up here. At the start of the summer I found out that most of the staff at the Ponderosa came from Utah State. In the mostly joking way we humans tend to be, they were like, you should come to Utah State. I joked with some of them and said if things didn't work out at the resort, I would come bum at their place and be their private chef. As the summer progressed and things actually did start to not work out at the resort, everyone continued to say, come to Logan, come to Utah State. Knowing how the job market is and how colleges hire mostly students and have very limited, if any, full-time positions available, I had absolutely no expectation that I would even have the slightest bit of luck at finding work in Logan, especially at the one place I would want to work: Utah State. I especially did not think I would ever see Logan when I was offered work at Weber State. I was pretty close to going to Weber when things changed. Just as a shot in the dark and knowing that they would be doing fall hiring within weeks, I looked up the catering's contact information on USU's website. I sent the executive chef an email informing him of my interest in work and attached my resume. This was before I even knew about jobs at Weber State. So when the Weber State offer came, I gave it a week to think it over and decided I would pursue that further. Then almost one month ago to the day, on Thursday, July 28th, a response came:


"Thanks for the interest in employment, currently we are hiring for several positions within my areas. I would like to talk to you about one of those positions in particular. When will you be done for the season in Zion and when would you be available?
Give me a call as soon as you can so we can discuss what would be the best fit for you."
  
I immediately called the chef. He was at a softball game, so we set a time for me to call the next day. The following morning, before I had even called him, I wrote my two weeks notice at the Ponderosa. That afternoon I called and we discussed things. It sounded like things were already wrapped up and I had a job. I talked to the chef at the Ponderosa and she gave me time off to go up to Logan to make everything official. That Tuesday I went up, secured the job, secured housing, and went back to finish my time at the ZPR. A few weeks later I move, start my job, then after a week a job becomes open in catering and here I am, doing exactly what I wanted to be doing in a place I never thought I would get a job. 

A picture of Logan
Well, that's basically the story of how I went from working at the Ponderosa to being in Logan in less than a month. Life is good. 

The song of the day is staying the same for now because my computer is experiencing technical difficulties.
0 Responses

    Followers