Valentine's Again

It is that time of year again. I was at the grocery store on this the eve of Valentine's Day and lo and behold, all the last minute shoppers were in their frenzy to get that special something for that special someone. I, as usual, blew past the flowers, the teddy bears, the cards, and the chocolates and gathered the grocery items on my list. I do not pity myself nor do I feel the least bit sad at having my February 14th alone. I find it interesting that so many feel obligated to have a date that night. The social pressures of society have yet again lessened the value of what I think is a wonderful holiday for those who truly love. To all of you with plans with your special someone, and to those of you yet to find that permanent someone who have a temporary one for this year, Happy Valentine's Day.

Oh, and don't worry, I have a date Friday I am looking forward to very, very much :)

At work today, we had a power outage that lasted three hours. I had finished the early morning duties and had just written the long list of tasks remaining for the day when it went dark. In the kitchen, with no windows or sky lights or emergency lights, it was pitch dark. We pulled out our phones for light and went to find out what we could. After a few minutes, we learned eight buildings on campus were part of the outage, which meant it was a more serious problem than someone bumping a switch. With several catering orders to be sent out to areas with power, I had work that needed doing and could not wait. I searched for a flashlight and when I found one, it was back to work. To keep the fridges cool, we got as much as we needed out at one time and waited until we were done with everything to put it all back at the same time. I cut fruit and laid cookies on trays with a lone beam of light illuminating my work space. It was interesting, but I enjoyed the change. I went to my class where the power also was out. There were two emergency lights and windows that enabled us to begin a simplified class, but the power in that building went on after fifteen minutes. We ended early anyway and I expected to go back to work to catch back up in the light. But, it was not so. We continued our work in the dark until finally, at about 11:45, nearly three full hours after it went out, the power was fully restored.

The Piano Guys have a new video out and, as usual, it is phenomenal. I will post it here in lieu of a Song of the Day. Enjoy!


0 Responses

    Followers