End of Summer, Start of Fall

As you may remember (though I may not have mentioned it), at the start of summer I had a tally of all the fun things I was doing to make sure I did not waste my summer. Having successfully kept that tally, let me explain it a little more. Near the end of spring, I was down a lot and not really content with things and wanted to really pick myself up. I made a lot of changes mentally, as a few of my friends from work can attest to. Around that time, I went and played kickball with some work friends and also began weekly games of scatterball with people from church. It felt so good to go out in the warmth and sunshine and to run my heart out and wear myself down, that I began promoting more and more outdoors activities. There was that one week where every single night, we were out doing a different sport. I knew that with all the ups and downs we experience in life, I needed to document all that I did so I could remain motivated to do more, and so I could look back at the end of summer and know that I did all I could to make the most of my time and not waste precious opportunities. This tally represents the main things I did and these served as the launching point for all the other things I ended up planning.

With it being officially Autumn as of Saturday, here is the final tally.

Ultimate Frisbee-IIIIIIII (8)
Soccer-I
Scatterball-IIIIIIIII (9)
Volleyball-IIIIIIII (8)
Campfires in canyon-III
Patio Fires on porch-I
Kickball-III
Hiking-IIII
Shooting-I
Softball-I
Mini Golf-III

To this list, I would also like to add that I attended 6 demolition derbies, 2 of which I was a volunteer as a judge. I attended 2 of those derbies in Preston, 3 in Logan, and 1 at the State Fair in Salt Lake. I also want to include a few other things. I had the fantastic opportunity to go four-wheeling, we went swimming at Bear Lake, went to the drive in movies, had an outdoor movie and several indoor movie nights (which will be even more frequent in the colder months), did several small firework shows and one BIG one for the ward, grew sunflowers, and saw many, many breathtaking sunsets.

I had an extraordinarily fun summer, but what matters most about all these things is that in these activities, in sharing these moments with friends and neighbors, I grew tremendously as a person and as a friend. And it would be an immeasurable mistake if I did not thank my best friend this summer, Cami Nicole Bodily, for allowing me to recapture the qualities in my life that I had lost. Cami is an especially sweet girl who makes you want to be the best you can. It is no surprise that everywhere she goes, she sees friends and family who are excited to see her. Thank you Cami, for all you did this summer to make it memorable. 




Several of these activities will continue into the fall, such as indoor volleyball, ultimate frisbee, and fires. My goal remains to make sure I continue to do fun things year-round, so as of today, I have started my fall tally.

For any of you who may sometimes think you have wasted your time, I recommend starting your own tally. I promise you that if you make the effort to track the positive things in your life, you will gain more than just fun times and fond memories, you will gain a passion for all the good things you need to find joy.

Today, I have a few songs for the Song of the Day. All of them revolve around friendship. First is "That's What Friends are For" from Disney's Robin Hood. Next up is James Taylor with "You've Got a Friend", and to round it out, "I'll Stand by You" by the Pretenders.


0 Responses

    Followers