Cinco de Mayo

 

I couldn't decide which picture was more awesome...so I put 'em both up!







Sorry my updates have been sparse. I'm still working long hours and the internet has been awful this week. I've only been able to check my email a couple times. Today, it's suddenly working, so I better update before it's gone. That and I only have 1 hour between shifts and most of that has been spent taking care of more important things. 

Today is Cinco de Mayo, but, sadly, this year I am not having any kind of party. That means no sweet pork burritos. Sad, sad day. It's ok though, I'm not Hispanic...

The past two days we've had a diabetic group here doing some sort of a camp thing. I haven't had much time (or internet) to look it up, but they have a website called insulindependence.org. It's interesting being around them a lot. You would think it's just a normal group of kids and adults, but they all have Type 1 Diabetes and either have insulin pumps in them or they take insulin shots. It's just been interesting watching there process while here. They are counting their carbs and doing these journals and it is eye opening to see a little into their world living with diabetes. They have been having a great time here though doing all our activities. Aside from regular meals in the dining hall, we've done a dutch oven dinner and a hamburger lunch out at our big campfire/picnic area for them. I was in charge of running those meals, so that's when I spent a couple hours hanging around them.

With that group here, we've also had a different group that we are doing off-site food for. The diabetic group also comes to breakfast early so they can do their carb counting, insulin counting, journal writing and all that. So, for the past 2 days and then again tomorrow, I've been coming in at 6 am rather than 7. It's tiring, but I'm starting to really learn the kitchen, so things are going great. Next week I'm even helping train someone I think. 

Well, it's time to head back to work. Happy Cinco de Mayo to you all.
0 Responses

    Followers