School and Debt

Going back to school this time around is a little more difficult. Last time I had savings and I just paid tuition right out of my pocket and lived very comfortably within my means with my part-time job. This time, I work full-time and I still had to incur student loans.

 Honestly, I'm not very pleased with myself.

I know how much money I made last year. A little over half of that went to cost of living, but that still leaves a substantial amount unaccounted for. If you break it down, in theory, I should have been able to pay off my debts, save money, and still live comfortably within my means and have plenty to enjoy nights out. Yet, somehow my debts increased.

I might as well come out and admit what my debts are. I think the humiliation of admitting it will help me cut off ALL non-vital expenditures and enable me to pay it off quick. The certain rebuke from home will probably also assist. The total in unsecured debt (unsecured meaning personal lines of credit and such) as of today is $2362.51.

Two thousand three hundred sixty-two dollars and fifty-one cents.

Most of that is in my car. A big chunk went into taxes last year. Really only a couple hundred has been spent on things I don't need, but because I did not pay off the big price emergency things like the car repair and the tax bill, when I would go out or buy something, that money should have gone into reducing the deficit. Therein lies my main problem. I feel my spending can certainly be reduced, but I definitely do not go out and blow all my money on shopping sprees. As I mentioned before, most of the things I have I have had for many years. The most I really spent in a shopping spree was when I bought 4 long sleeve shirts for between $6 and $8 each, and since the temperature has been below zero for about 90% of the winter, that was a good investment.

The only way to really handle this is to stop spending altogether. Every penny I have that does not go into monthly obligations needs to go into reducing my deficit. There is a very real pressure that comes with any amount of debt. Having a debt increases my stress levels. No matter how much I may say my finances are in good order, they are not and that effects every other facet of my life. It is hard to focus on other things when you are constantly nagged by your own irresponsibility.

Time to institute a serious course of action.

Song of the Day is "If I Had a Million Dollars" 
0 Responses

    Followers