Christmas in Virginia

This was my first Christmas in Virginia. The first year the family was out here, we all met in Iowa at my grandparent's (on my mom's side) house. The second year, last year, I stayed in Utah with my sister. This year, it took a lot to get us here, but we managed to make it home. So far, it has been fantastic.

Last Friday, we visited the oldest sister, Amelia, her husband Max, and the wee little baby, my niece, Lydia Elizabeth.




This was the first time Mike and I got to see her. As babies do, all she does is eat, sleep and poop. Amelia lives in Columbia, Maryland and just a couple miles down the road is a very quaint village called Ellicott City.



Ellicott City has small, local businesses all along the road that runs through it. It is a historic little town and was very fun to walk through and stop in at the shops. The weather when we went was ideal. It was cold, but a very light snow fell, creating the perfect mood for walking through town.




Saturday, we took care of some errands around town. We sent a package to Annie on her mission. I picked up a package and a gift for a friend. We chilled around the house. I napped. That has been one great advantage to having few obligations. I have napped between 1 and 5 hours every day. It is glorious. I just lay in front of the wood burning stove with the dog and sleep.



Sunday, we went to Camilla's young single adult branch and watched her sing in her Christmas program. She is quite the singer. Amelia, Max, and Lydia came to stay from Sunday through Wednesday and were at church with us.

Christmas Eve Day we awoke early and headed out for a 9 am showing of The Hobbit in IMAX 3D in high frame rate at the super huge mall in Tyson's Corner. We went early to avoid the masses that were descending for last minute shopping and because the 9 am showing was only $12. Watching in IMAX 3D in the high frame rate was well worth it. I would have to pay about the same price for watching on a small screen in 3D in not high frame rate with not so good sound in Logan. That afternoon we played games and then had Christmas Feast #1. I like a ham meal, but we had turkey for this one. The ham will be for New Years and at some point I was promised the old German Christmas meal too. Christmas Eve night we did all our story readings and nativity re-enactments, which is always interesting. In between most of these activities I napped. I'm serious...I have napped a lot. It snowed a little Christmas Eve Day, but nothing stuck.

Christmas morning dawned foggy. It looked really cool.



















We all got up and opened presents. I got a nice card with a little money from my grandma (on my dad's side), a soon-to-be-well-used "NO" button from Max and Amelia (we found it in Ellicott City and they went back and got it for me!), the usual in the stocking: socks, candy, cereal, and this year sunglasses (much needed too), and our Santa gift was a helicopter. You know, the ones you've seen flying around every mall. I haven't opened mine yet because there have been 5 helicopters flying all over around the house. Adding mine would be hazardous. The rest of Christmas Day we spent playing games, napping (just me, the dog, and the baby napping, as usual), Skyping Annie on her mission in South Carolina, and we watched a movie.



It snowed in the night and this morning, the day after Christmas, we actually had a good half inch or so of snow on the ground. It turned to a slushy mix and ended up pouring down the rest of the day. The snow is there, but it is bogged down by a good inch of rain. It is extremely slushy. Not much unlike a Slurpee, though I don't think you would want a Mother Nature flavored Slurpee.





During this snowy, rainy day, we planned our upcoming 2 day trip to New York City! We leave first thing in the morning. We also played more games, I napped twice, and Lance and Camilla went and saw Les Miserables. I want to see it, but I will prolly wait a bit.




I'll be in New York for two days, so look forward to that! This will be my first trip there.

Song of the Day is  "Carol of the Bells" by the Piano Guys.
0 Responses

    Followers