Rest of the Vacation

My family knows what I did after Gettysburg during my week at home, but the rest of you don't, so I better recap it all for you.

Wednesday morning we just moseyed around at home until the afternoon, when my sisters Angela and Annie, brother Mike, and mama 'Lizbeth and I (and the dog) went to the Great Falls of the Potomac. We enjoyed the views and had a nice walk along a trail, as well as a fun time scurrying around on the rocks down by the river.

This is Great Falls


This is Angela and I being weird...



Thursday was a longer day. Mike and I went into DC on the Metro and saw some sights. Originally, we were going to see the bathrooms of the Library of Congress (laugh all you want, but they are very, very, very nice and last time they were closed so I did not see them), then we were going to spend the day at the Smithsonian and other museums. That did not happen. We saw the House of Reps getting out so we watched them leave, then saw the bathrooms and the actual Library of Congress, then took a tour of the Capitol, then walked down and got some grub from a street vendor on our way to the White House, stopping to see various buildings like the FBI Building. We saw both sides of the White House, then noticed that the president's motorcade was getting ready to leave, so we waited to watch. That ended up taking an hour, but was still neat. By then we were almost out of time. We walked around the Washington Monument, which is still closed from the earthquake. Speaking of the quake, I have a great story. As we were walking around the base of the Washington Monument, we were reading a little informational marker about the earthquake. As we read, some ladies came over and one exclaimed to the other, "Oh, that's why it's closed! The Great Washington-New York Earthquake of 2011." My brother and I walked away trying not to laugh out loud...the Great Washington-New York Earthquake of 2011...oh man. Here's my favorite reminder of that quake:

Hahahahaha....anyway....We walked around the monument and over to the Air and Space Smithsonian. We spent a little bit of time there before we had to catch the Metro back out to meet up with Annie. With Annie, we went to Tyson's Corner to the super duper mega huge mall and saw the Avengers in ETX 3D. ETX is like imax, but has some newer features, like pumping sound that made our seats shake during the action packed, wall-to-wall 3D movie. It was awesome. Here are a couple pictures from DC: 






Everyone does these kind of shots, so I thought, what the heck...here's me holding up the Washington Monument...





Mike at the Supreme Court...





Me at the Supreme Court...














Me at the White House...


Friday was beach day. We woke around 6 am and headed up through Maryland to the Assateague Island National Seashore. I wanted to go there because on Assateague Island, there are wild horses. We saw a couple horses close up, which was really neat. I was sunburned already from my day in DC and did not put on sunblock, so, I roasted pretty good. I'm still peeling almost 5 days later. The beach was great though. I went with sisters Angela, Camilla and Annie, then Mike and my dad. No dog. We played frisbee, dug up mole crabs, and did some boogie boarding, which was really fun. The water was cold and made you numb, but it was a fantastic day. Here are some pictures from the island.





I was trying to keep the cold off of me before I finally went under...




This is a mole crab we dug up...he just wanted to go back in his hole...




First time at the Atlantic Ocean! Now I've been to all of them here... Pacific, Atlantic, and the Gulf...










Horse just chillin' on the side of the road...




Friday night when I got home was spent trying to keep my burning head from being so hot...the heat finally went away today actually. Saturday we planted some flowers for Mother's Day and worked out in the yard. Then I packed up, headed to the airport, and headed home. It was a less than happy feeling having to leave, but, all good things must come to an end. 

My week at home was a very much needed break for me and I gained a lot of perspective about some things as well. I am glad I was able to see so many things while home, but most importantly, I am glad I was able to spend time with my family. No matter how emotionless I act or seem, I...I...oh heck, I miss them.

Today we have two Songs of the Day. The first, "I'll Always Love My Mama" by the Intruders, is dedicated to my mother for Mother's Day. The second, "Route 66" by Chuck Berry, is because we are talking about travel.

0 Responses

    Followers