State of the Union

I just finished watching President Obama deliver this year's State of the Union address. Regardless of your political opinions and your opinion of the president, I recommend everyone listen to the State of the Union. If nothing else, it is an excellent and fairly quick way to catch up on what is going on in this nation and what direction things are going.

I won't go into too much detail about the speech tonight, but I did want to agree with a couple things that President Obama talked about. First, our infrastructure. I have always been a little embarrassed by the major decline in our infrastructure. There is a major lack in public transportation and we've been needing high speed rail for a long time. You would think that the nation that practically revolutionized infrastructure that we would be further along, but we aren't. I'm excited by the prospect of 80% of the nation having access to high speed rail by 2035. I believe we need a variety of quality transportation methods. We need efficient cars, public transportation, high speed trains, airplanes and more to make getting around this country affordable and accessible. The way I see it, if you have multiple methods for travel, you have more jobs and reasonable prices, which leads to people using these systems more. With more accessible transportation methods you don't have to worry about people not traveling. I know we would travel more if it were easier. It should not be this difficult to get out and see the other side of the country.

The second thing I agree with is looking for renewable energy. I especially liked how Obama said big oil companies are doing alright on their own and they don't need our billions of dollars. I really think we need to produce our own energy. Harness the winds, absorb the sun, and discover energy sources that I know are out there. I doubt there's some new element that will power the world with a few ounces, but I bet there are techniques and sciences to be discovered that can have a major positive impact on our energy production and consumption.

Lots of things were said that sounded great, but, sadly, will either never fully come to pass, or will take too long to accomplish, but I just want to say that though times seem bad right now, I am extremely proud to be a citizen of the United States of America. I am so glad I can get up every day, put on whatever clothes I want, go to school, go to work, practice my religion, own guns, cast my vote, and even write on this blog.

If you missed it, go back and watch the state of the union. Know what your government is doing. Take what goals the president set that you agree with and support and see what you can do to help accomplish them. That's how we're going to succeed.
0 Responses

    Followers