New Year, New Thoughts

As I indicated before, I was looking to change how I wrote my blog. Today, I finally realized what my vision will be for the year. My posts will be nothing more than my observations and thoughts on things I see each day. I will analyze things such as political news, and with my growing interest in social science, I will likely talk about many things relating to societies across the world. Food will likely be discussed as well and anything interesting I learn from class worth sharing. So, without further delay, enjoy my first post.


The other day I was talking with my good friend Hilary about foods I want to make this year. I've been seeking new things to try and she suggested something I've never heard of. Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah. She spoke of how extremely healthy it is and how it was a staple food for the Incas in the region of the Andes in South America. My interest in quinoa turned to intrigue as I researched everything I could about it. As I read a blog on someone's travels in Peru, they talked about how often they ate quinoa and then shared a recipe I will very soon be making for Rustic Tomato & Quinoa Soup. Then today, as I was perusing the news during a break from classes and work, I came across a featured article about quinoa and it's importance to Bolivian farmers. As I read the article, I felt inspired and privileged to be reading it. I began to think of how different things are in other countries. I used to poke lots of fun at organic food and other healthy foods, but the more informed I become, the more I want to snatch up all the healthy foods I can. Especially the kinds of foods like quinoa, where the farmers sacrifice a lot to provide for their families. Food is a special thing to me and it becomes even more special when I prepare foods that were brought about with care and true hard work. A bowl of mac n' cheese may taste good, but a machine made it, packaged it, and shipped it. I'm really looking forward to making my quinoa soup and enjoying a meal that was provided by a farmer who lives a life of true devotion. A farmer who uses the extra money he makes with the growing popularity of quinoa not to buy a bigger tv, but to increase his herds of alpaca, whose manure then provides fertilization for crops. Here is a link to the article if you would also like to be a little inspired today:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110104/ap_on_re_us/lt_fea_food_quinoa_rising

Another thing I noticed (again) today is how unfair the world can be. You may have seen the article on the homeless man's amazing talent. He has a golden voice. Unfortunately, hard times befell him, bad choices were made and he is now without work and without a roof over his head. He was reduced to using his golden voice to make a dollar from passersby. Sadly, things like this happen often and great talents go wasted for a time. Luckily, I'm sure that with the popularity of the story, he will find a job soon. What was more interesting to me than the story, however, were the comments that were made. I'm sure you've read the comments below a story and been surprised at how ridiculous the things you read are. Here is an exact quote of what one person said: "he is a dirty no good homeless drug addict bum". I do not want to draw too much attention to this person, but I really cannot understand how someone could really believe that. That's another interesting thing about people. Read the opinion page of the paper. People convince themselves of the most outrageous things and they defend their convictions with a blood-thirsty wrath that, quite frankly, baffles and astounds me. And if you missed that article, here it is:
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/51933/golden-voiced-homeless-man-captivates-internet/

Anyway, this year I will take more note of things around that are worth a little discussion and I will post them here, either daily or as often as I can. I encourage your thoughts and insights as well, so I will try to find a better commenting area. For some reason the regular comment wall has never worked. I'll get right on fixing that.

Best wishes to you all this year and I hope we can all become more aware of the world around us and grow from sharing it.
0 Responses

    Followers