Mother's Day Talk



Becoming more Christ-like based on the examples of women in my life
In 3rd Nephi, in the Book of Mormon, and John, in the New Testament, Christ has commanded us to “Be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect.” For “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life.”

We cannot be perfect beings in this life, but, we can be perfect in many attributes of our lives. We can be perfect in not swearing and taking the Lord’s name in vain. We can be perfect in keeping the law of chastity. We can be perfect in paying our tithes and offerings to the Lord. In these things, we can be entirely without flaws or shortcomings. But in so many other ways of life, such perfection is unattainable in the mortal realm, and we can only dedicate ourselves to being the absolute best we can. To strive for such perfect goals, we must follow the Master, Christ the Lord, and develop and adopt His attributes in ourselves.

With today being Mother’s Day, I would like to honor, and use as examples, the women in my life who have dedicated themselves to the Lord, and who have developed Christ-like lives that stand as shining beacons of hope to those around them.

The first is my mother. My mom is very finely tuned to the spirit. She has done away with just about anything that may detract the spirit from our home. She does not watch violent, crude, provocative, or even inappropriately funny movies, or shows. The most she has ever uttered a curse word is when reading the scriptures about damned souls to Hell at family scripture time…and when she does happen to get those verses, we gasp and make a fake fuss over it, though we all know that if she ever truly did curse, we would all be crouched in the fetal position, praying more fervently than any man ever before that the eternal judgment that was surely about to befall us would be kind. My mother is gentle and may get frustrated, but she is not quick to anger. Her jokes are clean and still funny. She serves willingly and without expectation of reward. All of these things are so because my mother loves the Lord with all her heart, she follows Him, and she has learned to love like Him. She does not need material things to be happy.

Next, is my older sister, Amelia. When Amelia returned from her mission a few years back, she resumed her studies at BYU. I was living and working in Provo at the time, and I hoped to help her re-adjust to life after her mission. The only adjustment she made and really needed to make was realizing that if she was at the grocery store and the person she was with walked off to look at something, she was not going to get in trouble for leaving her companion. Amelia has always been close to the Lord. She studies the scriptures each day, prays often, attends church, firesides, conferences, activities, and always serves others. When she returned from her mission, I thought her over-happiness and bubbliness would wear off. Married and with her first child now, her zeal has only ever increased.  

Now, to my younger sisters. The first is Annie, who is currently serving a mission in South Carolina. Annie was told in her patriarchal blessing to prepare to serve a mission. As boy crazy as she was, and as often as boys were always around her, we figured that by preparing to serve a mission, she would be prepared to enter the temple and be married. Somewhat surprisingly, she 86’d her suitors and submitted herself to the Lord’s service as a missionary. In weekly emails, I have witnessed tremendous growth in practically every aspect of her life as she has learned to be more like Christ. Here is an excerpt from a recent email:


I know I am not perfect but I do strive each day to represent Christ. Are my actions acceptable regardless of who sees me? Will I stand up for that which is right at all times and in all places no matter what? I know that each day we need to reflect on where we are and where we want to be and work to get there each moment of our lives. We have the opportunity to be an example to the world. I pray that we will stand for that which is right and remember who we are. I love this Gospel and am grateful for who it is helping me become. Each day I try to do better leads me to feeling just a little happier then I was the day before because I am striving to be that much closer to God.


Annie is not the bunny-soft-and-gentle kind of girl my mother and Amelia are. She plays sports with the boys and often puts them to shame, but she is not afraid to stand up for the truth and make the right choice when hard decisions come her way.

My third sister scares me. Her name is Camilla. Camilla is morally excellent in every way. She absolutely loves and adores music and the arts, but she refrains from offensive movies and does not listen to inappropriate songs, regardless of how catchy they are. She is a friend to everyone she meets, is as selfless as they come, and she has put on the full armor of God, because no matter what you throw at her, it just bounces right off. But she still scares me. There is something about the combination of her pure spirituality and her ability to pummel anyone who dares cross her…she was definitely put here on earth to keep me in check. Most of the time we spend Skyping , she is rolling her eyes at my comments, covering her face in humble frustration, and probably praying that someday I will be less of me and more…well, just less of me would be great for her.

The youngest of the family and my favorite sister, and I make no secret of that fact, is Angela. She is the typical young and spoiled child and it is a miracle my parents aren’t paying the rent to her. Angela is only 16, but she has already decided to be more like Christ. She stands out as an example to her friends for her decisions on what she will and will not do. She invites friends to church activities and is not afraid to talk about the church and her beliefs. Even as a rebellious teenager, she refrains from inappropriate language and also has standards for what movies she will watch and what music she will hear.  

Having described to you the attributes of my mom and four sisters, some might say they are Molly Mormons. If I called them that, they would likely shrug their shoulders and say, “I guess we are, and we’re proud of it.”

 I used to think that so-called Molly Mormons should be avoided at all costs. In my mind, anyone so smiley all the time must be mad. As I have grown and sought to draw myself nearer to my Father in Heaven and his son Jesus Christ, I have come to the conclusion that being a Molly Mormon, or, for guys, a Peter Priesthood, is not a bad thing, but, in fact, something we ought to be striving for.
Any brethren who disagree, let me expound briefly. Guys, think of a girl you have met that you found worth getting to know on a deeper, emotional level. As you began to care about this special lady more, did you ever think, “Boy, I like this gal and she deserves a double-wide to move into together and a bicycle, and maybe if we make it last long enough, we can have a common law marriage!” I highly doubt any of you thought that. More likely, you thought “Wow, this beautiful girl, who I have been so blessed to meet, deserves the world and I want to give it to her. She needs a guy who can do more than just buy her nice things, she needs a guy who has a strong testimony, who worthily holds and exercises the priesthood to provide for her spiritual well-being, and who will devote all of time and eternity to serving her and all others before himself.” And brethren, you want to be that guy, because if you are, you can fulfill your eternal exaltation, wherein you can become Gods with your Goddesses, and create such indescribable beauty as mountains and meadows, lakes and streams, sunrises and sunsets, plants and animals, and children to bring you joy above all.

But such pure and eternal bliss can never be attained if we do not adopt Christ-like attributes and draw nearer to Him, and to draw nearer to Him, it is important not just what we do, but who we are. 

In Preach My Gospel, there is a great section titled “How Do I Develop Christ-like Attributes?” In this chapter, it discusses principles of faith, hope, charity and love, virtue, knowledge, patience, humility, diligence, and obedience as ways in which we may improve ourselves in these areas and in becoming more like Christ and how that will benefit us in our path to eternal life.

It has become a tradition for me to compose a poem when I speak, and I would like to conclude with my poem for you today.


Sent to Earth to grow and learn,
God’s great blessings we must earn,
and dedication to his Son,
is how our exaltation’s won.

We must be kind to all we meet,
helping them through service sweet.
We must be pure in thought and deed,
give all we have, and put off greed.

With faith in Christ we can be taught,
that humility will help a lot.
Devote your Sunday every week,
it’s alright to be a “Jesus freak”. 

Love with all your mind and soul,
Joy will make your whole heart full.
Read and ponder scriptural books,
bad media do not need your looks.

Mimic attributes of He,
who gave his life for you and me,
and nearer you will draw to be,
exalted for eternity.

0 Responses

    Followers