Adventures of Late

This summer has been quite packed full of adventure. I have sat at several campfires, played many a game of volleyball and ultimate frisbee, enjoyed burgers on the grill, run Ragnar, hiked mountains, cooled off in lakes. On average, I would say I am involved in activities at least three nights a week. As I reflected today on how awesome this summer has been so far, I realized how much my experiences are shaped not by where I am, but who I am with.

I have been very fortunate in the time since I moved to my new house to have gained many new friends from church. It is with those friends, as well as friends from work, that I have done so much. Some people believe that the most memorable moments take place in exotic places somewhere over the proverbial rainbow. That is simply not the case. I wrote in my notebook of thoughts recently on the subject. I wrote that it is not the clear lake you are swimming in, the deep cave you are exploring, or the peaceful fire you are gathered around that makes the experience memorable, rather, it is the people, the words that are said, and the moments shared that you remember and that influence you. In those moments, you laugh at jokes together, play games, and interact in ways that allow you to build trust and to better appreciate the world around you.

I would like to share the story of a friend that exemplifies the point I want to make. A month ago, I did not know much of this friend. She was in my ward, but her face blended in with the faces of those with whom I was unfamiliar. All I knew about her was that she was leaving on a mission soon. I am kind of unsure how we ended up meeting, but we became loosely acquainted. Shortly after, I invited her to go shooting in the canyon. After enjoying the sport, we talked for a while, discovered some similar interests, then parted ways. In the short time before she left on her mission, we discovered and began to develop a great friendship. We explored an abandoned mine, jumped from cliffs into a lake, sat around a campfire, toured a cave, swam in another lake, shared a couple meals, scrambled up mountain sides, and marveled at the beauty and opportunity nature provides. In all our adventures, I recall the places we visited by recalling the experiences we had. I remember at Minnetonka Cave, we spoke in accents through the entire tour. I struggled to keep a straight face as she pretended to be from England. I gave my best shot at being German. I remember after visiting the abandoned mine in Hyde Park, we were curious where all the diverging roads went, so we traveled them all until we found a mountain with numerous open caves that seemed to beckon us to them. With nothing but flip-flops on our feet, we blazed through rocks and weeds and up steep slopes to discover not just our cave, but two small natural arches as well. The cave and arches made us late to her surprise farewell party at the bishop's house.

This friend and I shared in many fun activities that taught us a lot. Had we not become friends, we never would have had those experiences. I am grateful we did and that we were able to share so much time before she left.

I hope you all are taking every chance you get to gather your friends to go out and experience the many wonders of life together. Life has limitless opportunities for you to seek, but partaking of them alone profits you little. Share your time with friends and family, and I promise you will understand and appreciate this life more.

0 Responses

    Followers