Independence

A couple weeks back, I was sitting in my comparative politics class listening to discussion on something political when I had an interesting, slightly inspirational moment. Perhaps I was bored with the discussion, but at some point, someone said the word independence and my mind immediately turned away from the political discussion and to my own life.

One of my younger sisters recently observed that I have always sought my independence, and particularly back when I was a young adult still residing at home, I yearned for the day I would be on my own.

It is true.

I shared a room with my two older brothers for all of my childhood. In addition, our home was filled with with four sisters and my parents. In all, we totaled nine under one small roof. To further complicate my situation, I was the fourth of the seven children. The three siblings above me were always treated as the older, more mature children, and the three that came after me were always the younger, carefully watched out for children. I felt I was left to fend for myself, that I was on my own as the middle child to create whatever destiny I could without assistance. I believe this thinking led me to yearn even more for my independence. After years of sharing, when the older siblings left the home, I finally got my own room. Shortly after, we moved to Kentucky and I had an entire guest house to myself.

I could not have planned my final move to independence better. With my family in California for the summer and me staying in Kentucky to finish earning my Eagle Scout rank, it worked out that I formally moved out of my parent's home the day after my 18th birthday. A few weeks in California later, I was dropped off in Provo for college, my family returned to Kentucky, and I was totally and completely, in my young eyes, independent.

Six years of life lessons have passed, and I now would like to share the profound and ever true thoughts that came to me that day in my political science class. As a young adult, I thought independence was living on your own, making your own way, and not relying on others for your success. It was not until recently that I realized that independence does not mean free from dependence, but rather I submit independence quite literally means in dependence.

To pay my rent, car loan, insurance, and to buy food, clothing, and other goods and services I need to survive, I depend on work.

To work, I depend on an employer who trusts me and values my skills and on customers who seek our business.

To wake up on time, to stay in touch with friends and family who offer love, support, and useful advice, and to fill free time with uplifting entertainment, I depend on the vast technology of the world.

To challenge my mind, to teach me to think and make hard decisions, and to train me in knowledge, I depend on school.

To teach me respect, admiration, and selflessness, I depend on friends.

To truly repent, to draw nearer to God, to learn of virtue, love, peace, and eternity, I depend on Christ.

In this world, we were never meant to be on our own. To us, endless resources have been given for our utilization to find success in this life, and the next. If ever you think that your life is out of order, or you are struggling to find harmony, I challenge you to learn what I have learned; humble yourself, and live in dependence, only then will you truly understand this life.
0 Responses

    Followers